collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wouldn't mind dyin', I'd go by myself. Wouldn't mind dyin' if dyin' was all - Blind Willie Johnson, Bye And Bye I'm Goin' To See The King

Author Topic: New country blues bands  (Read 3384 times)

Offline ozrkreb

New country blues bands
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »
Howdy folks.

I thought I'd pass along some information about a couple of bands that people who are interested in country blues might like. I've been listening to each of them for several years. I pass this along only because I like to support bands who play music that I'm interested in....I'm not affiliated with either band.

The first is one of my favorites. They're called The Kitchen Syncopators. If you've ever been down to New Orleans around Mardis Gras you may have seen them. They used to sit down on Royal Street and play. They're based in the pacific northwest and do lots of shows in Seattle, Vancouver, etc. Here's their page.....check out the MP3's if you're interested.
http://www.kitchensyncopators.com/

The other band is from my neck of the woods and is called Uncle Cuckleburr's Champion Possum Carvers (UCCPC for short). They've got an excellent album out called The Ozark Sheiks. They are currently working on another album. Take a look at their page and listen to their MP3s.....Be sure to check out their version of the Memphis Jug Band's On the Road Again. If you ever get a chance to see them live don't miss it.
http://www.possumcarvers.com/

Enjoy!
Az
My hook's on bottom, but my cork's on top

koaguitarman

Re: New country blues bands
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:09:28 PM »
Cool links Az! Thanks.
Russ
:D

HardLuckChild

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:44:41 PM »
Both of those groups sound great. They sort of remind me of that Old Crow Medicine Band (correct name?) before they got signed to a major label. Are you guys familiar with them? They have great songs like "Caroline" and "Gospel Plow."

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 07:09:17 AM »
Thanks for the links, Az. Fun stuff. We'll add them to our links section.

crosscutsaw

the next generation
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 07:20:53 PM »
just checked out uncle cuckleburr's, great old timey stuff, really loving it
i'm not that enthralled with the kitchen syncopators
old crow medicine show on the other hand (see www.crowmedicine.com) are really amazing. sure, they are on a semi-major label and getting lots of exposure (played on conan, videos on cmt etc) but until you see them live don't write them off.
these guys tear it down in the style of 1920s uncle dave macon, lots of memphis jug band stuff. i've heard it said that they sound like a knock-down stringband from the 20s/30s with a punk sensibility (imagining the sex pistols with banjo/fiddle/gibson l-00) they are the highest energy band out there in my opinion, they leave every ounce on the stage. just saw them in northampton, ma 2 weeks ago and they just burned the place down. shirts soaked through, ketch (the mc, who has totally absorbed the comedy and rabble rousing of that era of race and hillbilly music) goes through at least 1 fiddle bow per show
i'll keep rambling if i don't stop, these guys are amazing, see them if you get the chance

Offline PattonsDaimon

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 10:04:14 PM »
Another great outfit is Devil In a Woodpile, in Chicago.  Virtuoso harmonicist/clarinetist/washboard(man?)/drum kicker/vocalist Rick "Cookin'" Sherry leads the group.  I was so taken by the group I took it upon myself to join them for a short spate when their guitarist Paul K left the band.  Paul's virtuosity is fairly mind-bending as well, by the way.  Afterwards they hired Joel Paterson, the greatest living guitarist.  To hear Joel play is to wish that you were doing something else that you were better at.  Backing them up is the equally disturbingly-great stand-up bass player Tom Ray.  Occasional backup is provided by tuba player and legendary Chicago sound mixer Gary Schepers.  Many a night I spent chatting with Rick about old blues players, why I pissed off Gary, and asking Joel, "Um...how did you do that?"  If you're ever in the Chicago area on a Tuesday night, do yourself a favor and go to The Hideout and check them out.  Here's their link:

http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artists/devilinawoodpile/
"To be is to be the value of a bound variable." -- W.V. Quine

Elliott

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 09:02:51 PM »
Theres a group doing a modern take over here in the UK, www.waxunderice.tk

mojohand

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »
Have a listen to Patrick Sweany.  I believe his website is www.patricksweany.com.  If you don't find it there look in the links file at Roy Book Binder's site.

Patrick is a young guy who plays a lot of country blues, slide, and some other funkier stuff.

MH

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »
Hi all:

Much to my surprise and pleasure a jug band of professional musicians has formed here in Calgary, the Highwater Jug Band. Guitar/banjo/mando, banjo-uke/drums, lap-style guitar/saw, guitar/jug, bass (both acoustic and washboard) and clarinet!

http://www.myspace.com/highwaterjugband

Alex

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:14:04 PM »
Very cool.  So do you know any of these guys?  Have they ever come by to listen to you and your monthly gig?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:58:08 AM »
Can't claim the credit for this one - it was fellow Weenie, Marshcat who tipped me off to Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band.  They have a MySpace page - a quick Google search will locate them.

Vocals/guitar plus washboard and drums.  Seriously mean and funky stuff.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:57:48 AM »
Can't claim the credit for this one - it was fellow Weenie, Marshcat who tipped me off to Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band

They are fans of Weenie Juke and we've got a couple of their CDs on the Juke as well.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 09:05:36 AM »
Very cool.  So do you know any of these guys?  Have they ever come by to listen to you and your monthly gig?

John:

I play out at an open stage about once a month that one of the members (Tim Williams) hosts. I've met most of the other guys at CB-type events (there ain't many of us), and actually got some cred by bringing Mary Flower to town a year and a half ago.

These guys play old jugband-style blues as well as vaudeville-novelty numbers such as " Hadacol" and "I'm Satisfied With My Gal" No rockabilly yet  :) .

There CD release party is in a coupla weeks. I'll send you a CD for the Juke.

BTW, You don't need a drummer for your band! Think Jimmy Reed. Or Barry Manilow :-X

chil1961

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:13:21 AM »
Check out The Carolina Chocolate Drops, I don't have the link but they are amazing and worth checking out. They have a few things on youtube and a website.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal