collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Dock Boggs and John Hurt collaborated on one piece for their New York audience: the evening's final tune, "Banjo Clog," featured banjo by Boggs and clog dancing by Hurt. The two then parted ways and pursued their new recording a performing careers - Peter K. Siegel, The Friends of Old Time Music

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222884 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #525 on: December 12, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
Welcome Don,

You've got the coolest plate on the planet!  ;D

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #526 on: December 12, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
I would almost move to Texas to get that Blind Lemon plate!

Almost...

Offline don o

• Don O.'s DFW Blues Website
« Reply #527 on: December 13, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »
Thanks, all!  I'm happy to be here.

I know several other folks in DFW who have the Lemon plate, but they are still rare.

If you live out of state, you can actually order a special SOUVENIR plate.  Below is from the Texas Music Office website:

15.Out of state but still want a plate?
Enjoy Texas Music souvenir license plates featuring Lemon Jefferson are now available to out-of-state residents for $20. For an additional $20, you can also personalize your plate with up to two lines of eight characters each. To order, contact the Texas Department of Transportation at (512) 374-5010 or send a check, money order or cashiers check to the address listed below. Payments should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation. Be sure to indicate that you would like to purchase the SOUVENIR "Texas Music" plate and include your name, address, city, zip, and daytime phone.
Texas Department of Transportation
Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
Special Plates Branch
Austin, TX 78799-0001

Additionally, please specify whether you would prefer the standard souvenir plate or the personalized souvenir plate (additional $20). If you order the personalized plate, remember to include the characters you would like printed on the plate. Symbols may include the following: # ? $ - /, a silhouette of Texas, or a space. Personalization deemed to be offensive will not be approved.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #528 on: December 13, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »
Assuming it's legal (I would have to check with the TDT whether gifting plates overseas is allowed), if anyone outside the US would like one of the souvenir plates to hang on the wall in your music room or bar (or wherever), hit me up with a PM and I'll see if it's possible to get one to you for the cost of postage and fee(s). I work a few blocks away from their offices.

Offline screamtone

• What's up, y'all!
« Reply #529 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
What's up people! Screamin' John here, from beautiful Louisville, KY, the home of the Kentucky Derby and the birthplace of Sylvester Weaver. I actually live about half a mile from his old house. Anyway, check out my websites, if you please!

BTW, I'll be performing in Memphis this February at the International Blues Challenge. Anybody here making it to Beale street for this event?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #530 on: January 10, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »
What's up people! Screamin' John here, from beautiful Louisville, KY, the home of the Kentucky Derby and the birthplace of Sylvester Weaver. I actually live about half a mile from his old house. Anyway, check out my websites, if you please!

BTW, I'll be performing in Memphis this February at the International Blues Challenge. Anybody here making it to Beale street for this event?

Welcome to WC, Screamin' John.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Devin Champlin.  I surely know some of you in person.  I currently live in Port Townsend, although I lived in Bellingham, WA for most of the last eight years, and have also called Tucson and Chicago my homes in the past.  I'm 32 years old.

I play in a couple bands, The Gallus Brothers, and The Crow Quill Night Owls most of the time.  I'm lucky enough to travel a lot playing music, and sometimes it actually pays the bills!  I have a healthy obsession with old music in general.  Country Blues is certainly top of the list of what comes out of my speakers, and I've been compulsively playing mandolin and fiddle lately trying to tap into the juice of greats like the Mississippi Sheiks, and Howard Armstrong.  My primary instrument for over 20 years has been the guitar. 

I also repair and build instruments.  I started trying to fix/customize my own instruments around 2002.  I made a handful of cookie tin banjos and the like too.  In 2006 I attended Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery in Phoenix.  After that I returned to Bellingham, staying busy doing repairs in between hitting the road.  I spent last winter in Madison, Wisconsin to learn from Todd Cambio of Fraulini Guitars.  Todd is an excellent luthier with keen creative intuition and a practical sense of old fashioned craftmanship.  It was a joy and an honor to work with him, and my own building has benefited greatly from his tutelage. 

Howdy all..  I hope to see you out there in the world soon!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: January 26, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Welcome Devin!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #533 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Hi Devin,
Nice to see you hear at the Weenie site and I hope to see you at Port Townsend this summer.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Thiago

« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »
Greetings from Argentina!
My name is Thiago, I'm 18yo and been playing guitar since last year. Only in the last months I've started to listen and play pre-war Country Blues. Amazing guitar playing, some tunes almost resemble a piano. Now I know more or less some songs from Rev. Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt and Blind Blake. Got lots of questions about Blind Blake too, especially about his right sportin' thumb. Anyways, I'll try to gain as much knowledge from this forum as I can; I see quality stuff here.

Keep playin',
Thiago

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
Welcome to Weeniecampbell Thiago!

Mister Steve

« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
Greetings from NJ!  My name's Steve.  Love singing, playing and listening to Memphis stuff: Robert Wilkins, Frank Stokes, Memphis Minnie and Sleepy John Estes.  Have to say I'm more towards the pre-blues side of things and music in transition, of a mixture.  

Great site!  Great folks!  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:06:13 PM by stevej »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #537 on: January 30, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »
Welcome and enjoy  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline un5trung

« Reply #538 on: February 12, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
Hola -- joined yesterday after I found the site by searching for the lyrics of Joliet Bound. Honestly it would have been easier to find with a name like Country Blues Crossroads, something like that. In any event I'm a middle-aged guy coming back to guitar and concentrating in country blues.  Ditto mandolin, though I'd never played that instrument before.  I like White, House, McDowell -- the usual suspects. Bought my first slide the other day -- boy is that a new world!

Am working on the mandolin with the help of Rich DelGrosso but would love to find a blues guitar teacher in the metro NYC area -- any help appreciated. 

Robert
("un5trung" is a banjo pun)

Offline un5trung

« Reply #539 on: February 12, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
Why is this -- or any other discussion in this forum, listed backwards?  The most recent posts are the most relevant, and are the most likely to stimulate discussion.  I've never seen a forum that mounts the recent posts 37 pages in!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal