collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well they kidnapped my baby, and she was all I had // And they held her for a ten thousand dollar ransom, ooh well well, you know that made me feel so bad - Peetie Wheatstraw, Kidnapper's Blues

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 58488 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2004, 09:12:56 AM »
I love all this revolutionary rebel talk...

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2004, 11:27:10 AM »
I just took delivery on a 1936ish Kalamazoo K-14 yesterday (the cheap version of the L-0 in those days).  Took it out last night and ran it through its paces in combat conditions.  Different tunings, slide, fingerstyle.  Stayed in tune well and tone to the bone. Several people commented on the tone.  Looks kinda rough and somebody destroyed the back of the neck with a rock like capo (that was included in the case) but it is light as a feather and plays extremely well.  I don't even think I will have to have it set up.  Beautiful Braz fingerboard and bridge.

So anyway I am stoked.  Does anyone have any info on dating a serial number?  I can't find any info on Kalamazoo.  Maybe Neil Harpe might have some info.

Mark M.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2004, 11:39:08 AM »
Cool Mark. Since you didn't mention it in your post, I'll point out that the difference in tone comes primarlly from the fact that the Kalamazoos were all ladder braced, similar to the O.S. Stellas. This makes it very different from the L- Gibsonsof the '30s and '40s, which were mostly X braced. Actually a few of the early flattop L-0's and L-1s had an H brace pattern. I doubt your gonna have much luck dating it. They were only made for about a decade. Yours is really in the kind of condition I look for in a vintage guitar. Lots of honest wear, lots of stories to be coaxed out of it.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2004, 02:25:28 PM »
Mark:

A potential source of serial # info http://www.provide.net/~cfh/ (last entry in Links section under Guitar related sites)

That's a great looking guitar. Boy, that poor neck took a beating.

Great aquisition.

Alex

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2004, 04:31:03 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I will give it a try. 

It is cool that the capo that did all that damage was included in the case.  The neck pad is just a piece of metal with a couple wraps of eclectrical tape around it. 

I'm with John C.  I would love to hear some of the stories that guitar could tell.  It sure plays and sounds good. 

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2004, 07:02:27 AM »
My old copy of  Gruhn's says that -

"KG-14 Flat top, L-0 size, mahogany back and sides, bound top, pickguard follows contour of body (but not as far into the upper bout as Gigson models)  unbound back, unbound rosewwod fingerboard, dot inlay, sunburst finish. Available late 1936-40"

That's all - any help? I asume the 14 bit refers to the number of frets?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2004, 10:21:23 AM »
There was also a KG-11, which was a bit wider body model, so the 14 doesn't refer to the number of frets.

I have a KG-14 that I bought recently.? The finish is in fantastic condition, almost as though it was never played, just stored under a bed.? The bad news is that it was stored under tension, so it needed a neck reset and a bridge plate replacement (now maple in place of the original worthless spruce).? The end result after this work is an old Kalamazoo that looks, sounds and plays terrific.

It's interesting to compare the Kalamazoo to my Stella grand concert.  They both sound great, but have a different voice.  Neil Harpe told me that the Kalamazoos have an extra lateral brace, which is responsible for most of the difference in sound.
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2004, 05:57:52 AM »
Ok, here goes.? Slack told me that I should post some pics of my latest creation.? It's a copy of a grand concert Stella 12 string with a six pin bridge, same as BBQ Bob's guitar.? The top is red spruce, the back, sides and neck are mahogany, with an ebony fingerboard and bridge.? ?Needless to say, it's a killer.? This is very similiar to John C's guitar as well.? John, do you have a 12 pin bridge?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:00:49 AM by Cambio »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2004, 07:07:59 AM »
I'm trying to get some work done here and this is not helping....

I'd seen these already and am still stunned every time I look at them. Kudos again, Todd.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2004, 07:43:48 AM »
And your shop is pretty stunning too - very nice overhead shelving!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2004, 08:19:19 AM »
Wow, that is stunning, Todd. I've only heard one of your guitars in the hands of your friend Alvin at the Freight and Salvage, and I am really looking forward to hearing and playing Frank's the next time I go back east.
Mine does indeed have a 6 pin bridge, altho' the original was cracked so it's a replacement. Also, in order to get correct intonation, Neil Harpe's luthier had to move the bridge over a quarter inch so to cover the scar they decided to widen the bridge and it's pretty noticeable. Mine also has a large inlaid pickgaurd extending under the strings, as does my little concert 6. Eventually  I should be able to get it together to post some pics myself, but if you happen to be out here anytime we must get together.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2004, 09:22:39 AM »
Wow, what a beautiful job you did, Todd!  I sure like the looks of that spruce, too--not too tight a grain. 
All best,
Johnm

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2005, 08:43:19 AM »
Hi all:

The dreaded GAS has struck again. I have just eBay-purchased an '53 Martin O-15 all mahogany small body for about $650 US. From the pictures it seems in good shape (probably refinished) but strangely its been fitted with a tailpiece and the original bridge pin holes filled in. Might take some work to change back (if possible) but we'll see.

I'll post some pictures when I get it.

Bad Alex, bad Alex

Alex
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 11:24:48 AM by pyrochlore »

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2005, 03:07:06 PM »
Hi all:

The O-15, all mahogany Martin arrived last Friday. The action is good, definately playable, but the saddle is as low as it can go. The top is cracked along the top of the pickguard  to the soundhole.

The strings are held on with a cheap aftermarket tailpiece.

The finish is heavily checked but all there and in good shape. A few pick scratches.

Neck is wide with a low V-shape (perfect).

It sounds great (remarkable with the saddle so low). Loud with good bass response. Light as a feather.

She's going to take a little work (neck reset, fix the crack and get rid of the tailpiece) but the result should be worth it. Definately a player.

I've posted a picture of it and some others of my guitars in the photo gallery here:

http://weeniecampbell.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=48

Alex

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2005, 05:39:30 PM »
Very cool Alex - well worth fixing up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal