collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now Bill, over here on bass--I'm sure you've heard of people who don't know nothing--he don't even suspect nothing - Lester Flatt, introducing the members of the Nashville Grass

Author Topic: Geeshie Wiley's guitar  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Howdy!
Geeshie Wiley's guitar
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
The more I listen to "Last Kind Words" and other tracks by Geeshie Wiley, the more convinced I am that the guitar is a 12-string.  The B string has that phase-y sound that 12-strings have, and the bass strings sound like they have octave strings.  Same with the playing on Elvie Thomas' "Motherless Child Blues".

On "Skinny Mama Blues", it sounds like the treble E string isn't doubled as a 12-string would be, so I'm not sure about that one.  Maybe it's an 11-string?

I know that the conventional wisdom is that "Pick Poor Robin Clean" is a guitar duet, but I think it could be just one strong player using a 12-string (which makes sense, in that one of them claims to be playing blues about cock robin, while the other asks to hear it). 

Side note:  what the devil does Geeshie call Elvie Thomas in the intro to "Pick Poor Robin"?  The exchange is something like:

"Hello there, Geeshie"
"Hello there, sluh"....

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Geeshie Wiley's guitar
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
I think it's "slack". Seriously. At least one other weenie agrees with me, see http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2269.msg36832#msg36832
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:45:46 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »
Also, please do click on the Geeshie Wiley tag below, some great stuff there.

I originally thought Geeshie was playing a 12, or there were two guitars. I changed my mind at some point, and now believe it's just great technique, brushing the strings with her index finger and/or thumb. In particular I'd recommend this quick demo from Chris: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4169.msg29445#msg29445
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:23:08 PM by Rivers »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »
I thought Elvie was playing the 12.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Tags: Geeshie Wiley 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal