collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...I can think that, well... my voice will change, I'll be John Hurt on this song, I'll be Skip James on that one, I'll be Tommy McClennan on that one. How many voices you got? They're going one style, one kind of sound from their area, and singing in their voice - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Service bell for washboard  (Read 747 times)

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

Service bell for washboard
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
A friend of mine recently gave a washboard he found in his mother's attic. It's quite narrow, it's called a Zinc Lingerie model ,to do something different from other washboard I'm going to put a service bell on the side. However, do I screw it in? If so, I can't find one with screws, could someone perhaps link me to one that does. Also, I'd like to get a wood block for it, on my other one I just hit the wood and it's pretty messy after years of it. Does anyone have any advice for making a woodblock?
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: Service bell for washboard
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »

Congratulations! The Zinc King Lingerie Washboard is the "holy grail" for a lot of us who play Washboard.

I've had difficulty mounting any bell that doesn't already come with a mounting capability (e.g. a bicycle bell)

In my own washboard experiments, any screw large enough, that I sink deeply enough, has cracked the wood on the washboard.

For that reason, I'd try  putting a service bell on, with Super Glue. It might hold.

For a woodblock, I simply bought a woodblock at a drum store.
 This rather goes against the "do-it-yourself" ethos of washboard playing, but it mounted easily and sounds good. 

A lot of how we customize our washboards is a matter of trial and error
  Best of luck

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal