collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
His name is Ramblin'. When he gets a chance, he leaves his mark on everybody's pants - Blind Arthur Blake, Police Dog Blues

Author Topic: Service bell for washboard  (Read 737 times)

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

Service bell for washboard
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
A friend of mine recently gave a washboard he found in his mother's attic. It's quite narrow, it's called a Zinc Lingerie model ,to do something different from other washboard I'm going to put a service bell on the side. However, do I screw it in? If so, I can't find one with screws, could someone perhaps link me to one that does. Also, I'd like to get a wood block for it, on my other one I just hit the wood and it's pretty messy after years of it. Does anyone have any advice for making a woodblock?
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: Service bell for washboard
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »

Congratulations! The Zinc King Lingerie Washboard is the "holy grail" for a lot of us who play Washboard.

I've had difficulty mounting any bell that doesn't already come with a mounting capability (e.g. a bicycle bell)

In my own washboard experiments, any screw large enough, that I sink deeply enough, has cracked the wood on the washboard.

For that reason, I'd try  putting a service bell on, with Super Glue. It might hold.

For a woodblock, I simply bought a woodblock at a drum store.
 This rather goes against the "do-it-yourself" ethos of washboard playing, but it mounted easily and sounds good. 

A lot of how we customize our washboards is a matter of trial and error
  Best of luck

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal