collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We wanted to play the blues, so we got some stuff we recorded that's almost a blues and it's almost a waltz - which I think would be nice for y'all to learn about... Don't ever say "I can't do something because I don't have this..." I learned to play fiddle on a cigar box - Canray Fontenot

Author Topic: How Britain Got the Blues  (Read 1638 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
How Britain Got the Blues
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »
Has anyone read, or even browsed How Britain Got the Blues: The Transmission and Reception of American Blues Style in the United Kingdom by Roberta Freund Schwartz?  The table of contents, available at amazon UK, looks interesting, at least to someone who, as a young man, found out about the blues via Britain.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: How Britain Got the Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
I was given it as a birthday present in 2007 and am ashamed to say that I've only skimmed through it paying particular attention to her sources, footnotes and bibliography. She's certainly done her homework and at every turn the book is littered with quotes from long forgotten British magazines, newspapers or record sleeves by equally forgotten contributors dating back to the 40s. It's certainly head and shoulders above Bob Brunning's very myopic and perfunctory, "Blues: The British Connection" (Blandford, 1986). The drawback has to be the price which in the UK, is around ?50 which, for 250 pages, is steep to say the least.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: How Britain Got the Blues
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
Is that all... bring it with you to gathering and at that price you could hire it out!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal