collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The chocolate tape was sliding off the reels and across the silver recording heads, while the needles on the two meters jumped to the beat on the face of the big Ampex. This was 1959 and I finally had German mics and a Cadillac of a recorder and was doing stereo - the first stereo field recordings made in the South. You should hear the recordings - for me a life's dream realized - Alan Lomax, The Land Where the Blues Began

Author Topic: Pallet on your Floor (banjo)  (Read 1787 times)

Offline motmot

• Some said it's beans, some said it's greens
Pallet on your Floor (banjo)
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:01:33 PM »
And here's a John Hurt song transferred to banjo.
(If you listen closely, just at the end, you can hear my Walker hound (named Hector) bark to be let in.)
best,
mot
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 09:09:28 PM by MotMot »
... but it's a slow consumption, killing me by degrees

Offline Roscoe

Re: Pallet on your Floor (banjo)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:14:46 PM »
ok....it took me a while to find this. its hard for me to play frailing style slow like on this song. i like it and im goin home and tie one hand behind my back and learn to play slow. thanks. roscoe. btw:what tuning is this?

Offline motmot

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Roscoe. I don't know that I'm frailing as much as just whanging on the thing.
The tuning is double C: gCGCD.
best,
mot

37 Gibson

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »
That works nicely on banjo, and I like the laid back approach.  (And your companion Hector has a great sense of timing there at the end...)  Best, Cliff

Offline motmot

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »
thanks. As for Hector's contribution, it's like that old line: "Could you play something the dog doesn't think he knows?"
cheers,
Tom

Offline whigski3

• Hi!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:29 AM »
Thanks Mot!   As a blues lover and a new banjo-er (ist?) , I really enjoyed your version of Pallet On Your Floor.  It's a tune I've worked at on guitar for some time.

I believe that it's due to the banjo's relative lack of sustain that it hasn't been popular in blues (along with the unfortunate fact, as I understand it, that many blues players of yester-year didn't want to be associated with the banjo after the minstrel shows...) .

Anyway, it was great to see the banjo used here!  As I mentioned, I am interested in blues banjo too, and I'm sure there are lots of others.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 11:09:32 AM by whigski3 »
I'm sitting here wondering, will a matchbox hold my clothes...

Offline motmot

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I find it refreshing to take something that's familiar on the guitar and try to translate it to the banjo ...
Best,
Tom

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal