collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well we called us the Mississippi Sheiks, all of us Chatmons, cause my name is Bo Chatman only they call me Bo Carter. We toured with the band right through the country; through the Delta, through Louisiana down to New Orleans, serenadin' - Bo Carter

Author Topic: The Earliest Black String Bands Volume 1 (DOCD 5622)  (Read 1841 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
The Earliest Black String Bands Volume 1 (DOCD 5622)
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
The Earliest Black String Bands Volume 1 (DOCD 5622) just went up on the Juke.  It's a fascinating CD, though not, perhaps, what one would associate with "country blues", so I thought a bit of an introduction to the disc might be appropriate.

This disc features, as far as I can determine, the complete recorded works of bands led by Dan Kildare.  Kildare was born in Jamaica in 1879.  He'd emigrated to the United States by 1901, at which time he was musical director of "Gorman's Alabama Troubadours, one of the many African American shows that criss-crossed the country around the turn of the 20th century.  As musical director, he and his band would have accompanied everything from ragtime "coon songs" to light opera.  By 1910 he had become a protegee of bandleader James Reese Europe.  In 1913 Europe provided music for the dance team of Vernon and Irene Castle (the Astaire and Rogers of their day), and after this, Kildare was approached to provide music for the dancer Joan Sawyer.  The four songs by Joan Sawyer's Persian Garden Orchestra are recorded versions of this music.  The recordings were made in 1914.  There's nothing particularly "black" about this music - it could have come just as well from a white band of the time.  But it gives an interesting insight into the kind of music that some black bands were making in the period when the blues were first becoming popular.

In 1915, Kildare led a seven man band to London for an extended engagement at Ciro's Club.  The recordings by Ciro's Club Coon Orchestra were made in London in 1916 and 1917 by a shifting group of African American expatriates in England.  Though there are still no blues here, some these songs have more of a string band flavor, especially the ones featuring both banjo and "banjoline".  The repertoire here will be familiar to fans of string bands such as the Mississippi Mud Steppers or the Dallas String Band.  Of the 14 songs recorded during this period, 4 are "Hawaiian", showing that interest in this music was still strong at the time.  Those of us old enough to remember Ian Whitcomb from the mid 1960s might recognize "Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go With Friday On Saturday Night?", as Whitcomb had a minor hit with this song and lip-sync'ed it on Shindig in 1965 (Shindig was a mid 60s American TV show featuring a variety of rock , pop, and soul acts each week).

In 1918, Kildare married the proprietress of a London pub.  Unfortunately, he was an alcoholic and possible drug user.  In 1920, after an argument with his wife, he killed her, her sister, and then himself.

Eight recordings by Kildare's bands remain undiscovered.                       
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:12:34 AM by dj »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: The Earliest Black String Bands Volume 1 (DOCD 5622)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
Typo dj, 1879 Iguess versus 1979. Unless he had one helluva a wayback machine...  :)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
Wow,the mandolin banjo or whatever that thing is, it sure is loud!!!  It would take about 100 of Miller's cigar box mandos to achieve that kind of volume.

Although this probably won't be of great interest to many Weenies, it's of historical interest as pop music of the day -- nothing to do with the blues, but if we want to know about all the different kinds of music that black musicians were making in the early 20th century, this is significant -- trying to understand the context of the early blues, but it's difficult because no real cross-section of black music got recorded til the mid 20s, and I'm not even sure about then.  Certainly there's very, very little of the rural string band music played by black musicians.  Dan Kildare et al were not country hicks, they were very highly trained and almost certainly literate professionals.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:40:39 AM »
Thanks for the catch on the date, Rivers.  My spell check works just fine, but that date check just never catches anything!   :P

Tags: Dan Kildare 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal