collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I love you dear, I love you mighty. Wishin’ your pajamas was just a little bit closer to my nightie - Lottie Kate Bunkley and Jim Bunkley, "Black Gal", recorded by George Mitchell

Author Topic: I Just Stopped in for a Hot Dog and a Soda.........  (Read 2092 times)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
I Just Stopped in for a Hot Dog and a Soda.........
« on: October 02, 2004, 04:37:54 PM »
..... and ended up with a new National Tricone.
So Gryphon is having a 35th Birthday celebration with free food and drinks and I've got a gift certificate. I decided that after my usual Saturday Cycling workout I'll cruise by. I find a Robert Johnson song book and this really cool handblown glass slide that doesn't slip off my pinky. I try the slide out on a used National? (that luckily for me is tuned to open G) it sounds pretty good, I try a medicine bottle that sounds good but then I can't get it off my finger.? I'm leaving and the closest guitars to the checkout are the new Nationals and for some reason my brain memorizes the price on the Model 97 as I'm leaving (it also has a different color sales tag). I think about it while at home that's not a bad price. I really wanted to get a 1.5 but hey I'll call and see if I can get it next week but the price is for today only, hmmmmmmmm :-\ what to do? I drive back to look at it and my guitar teacher is between students so he plays it now I'm hooked.
I just finished playing it for awhile and it sounds so good I'm dissappointed I didn't buy one earlier. Admittedly it is a bit much guitar for my level of expertise but I do think it may motivate me to play even more.? :D
Oh yeah I haven't told my wife yet? :-X
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: I Just Stopped in for a Hot Dog and a Soda.........
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »
Oh yeah I haven't told my wife yet? :-X

I'm sure she'll understand.  :P

Is this it Gary?

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 08:23:38 AM »
Hey Rev,

That 97 looks cool.  If it feels right go for it.  Frank can set it up to suit you. I almost bought an O there at Gryphon once.  I love that store.  Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Mark (they can't keep us locked out when the Rev is around)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 02:28:58 PM »
U.B.- That is sort of the one I purchased. I've seen two "Model 97"'s, the one I purchased and one other and neither one was painted, just etched. So I guess other than the paint it seems as though it is the same guitar, I haven't noticed any other differences.
By the way here is a link to the new National web site being tested.
My wife was actually happy with the National, I was planning on buying one in November but we usually check with each other on large ticket purchases (long story involving a laundromat size dryer arriving in a home).

Hey Mark- how's it going?
Gryphon IS the place to go for stringed instrument. I take guitar lessons there which is good/bad when experiencing G.A.S. attacks.

Rev (I can't remember if we disabled our "shortcut"?) Gary
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 06:40:30 PM »
Hi Gary,
Congratulations on knowing when to pull the trigger.  One of my best buddies up here runs a music store, and I can assure you that music store owners really appreciate the non-agonizing purchasers who make the smart impulsive buy.  I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with your new guitar for years to come.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal