collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Bedbug's big as a jackass, he will bite you and stand and grin. Drink up all the bedbug poison, come back and bite you again - Furry Lewis, Mean Old Bedbug Blues

Author Topic: Valerie June: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert  (Read 610 times)

Offline MissouriTiger

• Howdy!
Valerie June: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
The last time I posted a link here to a song on YouTube nobody responded, which left me wondering if anyone else liked it at all. That one wasn?t really country blues though.

I?m going to try again. This Tiny Desk Concert by Valerie June is country blues, though I feel it also has old country influence as well.  I posted this on Stefan Grossman?s Woodshed a couple days ago, and got no responses. I?d really like to know if anyone else likes this.

Like it? Hate it? Indifferent?

Anybody else like these Tiny Desk Concerts as much as I do? They had the great Glenn Jones on there a couple years ago.

Valerie June: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

Offline Laura

Re: Valerie June: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »
Hi MissouriTiger.  I didn't see the previous link you posted so can't comment on that one.  I've not seen these concerts before but it's a nice idea.  I really like her - playing and singing, plus she has the most adorable accent!

Offline funkapus

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
I saw her live about a month and a half ago -- she opened for Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, a pretty big difference in both style and presentation.  I liked her and was impressed with how she captivated a pretty large crowd.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
Hi Greg:

Thanks for the post and the link. I hadn't heard her before. She certainly is talented and quite enjoyable to listen to. The Tiny Desk Concerts had kind of slipped off of my radar. I went back and watched the one Glenn did again. He usually performs a concert or two out here when they come out to visit, so the video was a reminder of what a solid player and performer he is.

Don't project anything into the lack of responses regarding the quality and/or appropriateness of your posting(s), here or at The Woodshed or anywhere else for that matter. Oftentimes it's just a function of the limitations imposed by the "there are only 24 hours in a day and only so many days in a life" rule. I wish I had more time to read, listen to, watch and respond to everything worthy of my interest and attention, but unfortunately it's a case of  "see above rule."

Thanks again for the post. Keep posting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:45:33 AM by Stuart »

Offline SouthernSounds

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Hey MT,

I didn't really like her music, but I don't hate it either. Maybe it's not my cup of tea... However the Tiny Disk Concert is a great way to hear good music. I've been amazed a few times with their guests.

Thanks for the link, anyways.

All the best,
B.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:42:24 AM by SouthernSounds »
"I have nothing against the progress, but when the death progresses I prefer to live Indian" - El Patara, Arak Pacha

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
Not sure it is worth a comment.  Didn't do anything for me.  Like so many young folks today they get some of the tradition and then add stuff that slides like water off my oily tastes.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal