collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She said 'daddy, is that my train?' I say 'I ain't keepin up with the train time, I'm tryin to make a few dimes - Bukka White, Special Streamline

Author Topic: Tampa Red  (Read 4842 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Tampa Red
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  For some reason, I was going to pass this CD by.  even though I don't have very much of Tampa's post-war recordings.  Now I'm not.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
Just a "Me too" post from me. I found the record co's page on it: http://acerecords.co.uk/dynamite-the-unsung-king-of-the-blues

Gratuitous guitar player observation of the cover shot, using the blow-up hot keys on my mac, I see Red is wearing a plastic (bakelite? cellulose?) thumbpick and a single steel pick, on his index finger, and an intriguingly short glass slide on pinky. I realize this may not be news, or at all interesting for that matter, to anyone but me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:22:48 PM by Rivers »

Offline CF

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
Gah! Alan that article cinched it for me! Sounds like an excellent release & i've always loved Tampa's music, all eras.
Now to find it available in NA where the exchange rate & shipping don't kill me. I've got to buy Tefteller's latest calendar next month as well  :)
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 09:14:27 PM »
Just a "Me too" post from me. I found the record co's page on it: http://acerecords.co.uk/dynamite-the-unsung-king-of-the-blues

Gratuitous guitar player observation of the cover shot, using the blow-up hot keys on my mac, I see Red is wearing a plastic (bakelite? cellulose?) thumbpick and a single steel pick, on his index finger, and an intriguingly short glass slide on pinky. I realize this may not be news, or at all interesting for that matter, to anyone but me.

No, it's interesting to me as well. In addition to the fact that the slide is glass and short, it looks like it's a broken bottle, but not the top of a wine bottle. From the looks of it, it's more likely a medicine bottle that's been cut off and sanded and polished. I'm not sure I've seen that done before.

Could be that one of the reasons Red had such astonishing speed was he was using a very light slide--not that I'm making excuses for my own sluggish playing.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 03:12:08 AM »
Several years ago there was a passionate discussion at the PWBG regarding Tampa's use of the "Jazz Horn." Our den mother finally had to tell us to cease and desist as a discussion of this topic was  inappropriate for some of the greatest minds in Blues scholarship. I'm sure Alan and Peter fondly recall this episode.
How can one forget that episode, it took up the best part of April 2008! It should all be there in the PWB Yahoo online archive

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »
Any info on this photo of Tampa Red I would surely appreciate. Date of photo, age of Tampa.  For sale as a print anywhere?

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 02:30:21 AM »
You might think of contacting Stefan Wirz via his site. He has lots of info on the source of photographs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
I was researching Tampa Red and came across these 2 photos.
As far as I know the first one surfaced about a year ago and the 2nd one only a couple a months ago.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal