collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well as a man he was a good natured fellow to meet, very kind. Well thought of and everybody liked him, wouldn't do nobody no harm at all. He do like most blind men do when they have a family or wife, do all they can to take care of them - Rev. Gary Davis describes Blind Boy Fuller, in Oh, What A Beautiful City

Author Topic: Why did so many players go for dreadnaughts after their "re-discovery"?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Why did so many players go for dreadnaughts after their "re-discovery"?
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »
I would like to try that guitar!

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 06:36:11 AM »
"one thing for sure - when i'm re-discovered, it's a J-45, advanced jumbo or D-18 for me."

Then straight down to the pawn shop!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
In the interests of clarity I am posting four photos, two of actual Parlor guitars in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, one being a 19th century Martin
http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/museum-departments/curatorial-departments/musical-instruments      
http://www.metmuseum.org/search-results?ft=guitars&x=0&y=0
and two 40's-60's style Stellas or Harmony made Stellas. The differences in quality, style and materials should be obvious. A painted guitar (other than decorative touches) is a good indicator that you're probably dealing
with a cheap plywood student model, as is very thin fretwire on a painted fingerboard , and a stamped metal tailpiece. Except for use as slide guitar I would avoid these guitars like the plague. I also defy anyone to show me a photo of a rediscovery playing one of these pieces of crap (OK they probably exist but no one actually CHOSE to play one of these).
$50-$60 bucks TOPS for these folks! Don't encourage artificial inflation of garbage.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:59:03 PM by Mr.OMuck »

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:55 AM »
How about this?:

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
Clearly- a vintage Martin and a Stella are very different things.

The point with the stellas is that the Oscar Schmidt ones, whilst always budget instruments in their time, were better made than some, and were almost invariably solid birch.  The good ones have a distinctive and (to some of us) very pleasing sound and are a pleasure to play.  Once Harmony took over they were less good it seems- though most were still birch for some years before they become plywood.

Most of those we see are 50s/60s/70s Harmony student models which I absolutely agree are very widely available and pretty lousy though fun for a bit of rasping slide tone). 

A good early harmony or OS one however, whilst it should never command the sort of prices quality old Martins etc do, can be a very desireable and enjoyable guitar. 

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »
Ryan I've waxed Rhapsodic about the A&L Ami on here several times. I think they are stunningly good little guitars for the price. So what's the dif between it and its Harmony predecessors? Manufacturing techniques, computer aided saws and carving machines have allowed a degree of fit and finish on contemporary inexpensive guitars that was simply not available earlier. My understanding is that they ARE solid Cherry or Birch with solid Spruce or Cedar tops.
I think they're great. Wouldn't trade my main '63 D-18 for one but I'd certainly consider it for a guitar to take out on the road. And for a dedicated slide guitar, they are superb. Buy two, one for Spanish one for Vastapol!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:29:52 AM by Mr.OMuck »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
Ryan I've waxed Rhapsodic about the A&L Ami on here several times. I think they are stunningly good little guitars for the price. So what's the dif between it and its Harmony predecessors? Manufacturing techniques, computer aided saws and carving machines have allowed a degree of fit and finish on contemporary inexpensive guitars that was simply not available earlier. My understanding is that they ARE solid Birch with solid Spruce or Cedar tops.
I think they're great. Wouldn't trade my main '63 D-18 for one but I'd certainly consider it for a guitar to take out on the road. And for a dedicated slide guitar, they are superb. Buy two, one for Spanish one for Vastapol!

Good to know 'cuz I just bought one.  I am not to crazy about the blue color (maybe it will grow on me), but the price was to good to pass up.  I just have to get that rosette off without taking some of the cedar top with it!

On another note, I have a slothead 12 fret 0-15 Martin.  Everyone who sees it calls it a parlor, which it isn't.   

Offline Cartouche

• tombstone hand/graveyard mind
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Hey, there's a coincidence! I just picked up an Ami last weekend. I'm having a lot of fun with it, a nice mid, punchy sound to my ears. I got the cedar top, antique sunburst finish.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/amicedarantiquebst.html

I thought about one of the newer, hand-made parlors, but I just can't. I'm pretty careless and am constantly putting dings and scratches on my guitars by leaning them on furniture, banging them into doorways, chopping cilantro with them, etc. Accidentally gouging a $300 guitar doesn't give me that heart in the throat feel that I would probably get if I had a $2800 Hauver.

Offline eric

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »
I'm gonna get one of those AMI's to keep at my girlfriend's house.   I kind of like the black finish.
--
Eric

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
I scored mine used and in great condition for $120!  That's cheaper than those plywood faux "parlors" from the '60s are going for nowadays!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
Hi all,
I moved this thread over here since it is essentially a guitar thread as opposed to a blues thread.
All best,
Johnm

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
I recently got a Guild F-20 in a trade.  It is for all intents and purposes a parlor guitar with a big sound.  I like the size and the sound is very good.  But for volume nothing beats a J-45 IMHO.

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
Is a Guild F-20 the size of a Martin 00?

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
An early model F-20 before they were compelled to change their headstock design.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal