collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I mean, when you think about it, old blues men are always old, right? - Jerry Ricks

Author Topic: Story of Paramount Records - Thirdman / Revenant Records  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Story of Paramount Records-thirdman records
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »
Alex's 2003 book of the same name (from which most all graphics and photos in this set come) is selling for $500.00+ on the used market.

There's a revised edition available for $39.00:

http://www.mainspringpress.com/book_paramount.html

http://www.mainspringpress.com/book_catalog.html

I agree with much of what you and John have to say. However, while the music is also of primary interest for me, nothing happens in a vacuum. Thus I have an interest history, background, and context. And there's always the "custodian of culture" aspect as well. Still, it's not for everybody, so to each his or her own.

The bottom line is still  going to be the  bottom line $$. As attractive as the contents may be, I don't need to overspend for designer or boutique packaging. We'll wait and see what they want for it.

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
Right, Stuart. I agree.
However the history, background and context are more thoroughly and accurately given other places.
Though not all in one place. And certainly not in oak & velour.... ;)
best,
bruce

Offline orvillej

• Bama-Lama Bama-Loo- Little Richard
    • orvillejohnson.com
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
The main thing I'd like to know about is if there's been any effort to find good sources and improve the sound quality over what's been available. I have a lot of the music already as well.

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Hi Orville,
A tough question to answer without buying the set. Listening to the sample tracks at the link you 1st provided will give a rough indication, I guess.
Look on page 248 of the book PDF where the contributors of recordings are listed and what jumps out---for me at least---is the absence of several names....people who have the best collections of Paramounts. One of them even posts here sometime.
best,
bruce

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
Hi Bruce:

I read  Alex's book years ago when it came out--and have been following what's available on the web and in print re: Paramount as it appears. But other than a quick browse through, I haven't had a chance to go through the PDFs in any detail. My guess is that if anyone had the time to trace all of the sources, they would conclude that most of what is in there is derivative and available elsewhere. But I still have a wait and see attitude with respect to the package as a whole as there can always be surprises and even a reorganization of pre-existing material and info can have its strengths and be appealing.

One thing that raises a few questions is the inclusion of LPs and a USB drive with music tracks and images in the set. I understand it from a marketing POV, but there's a disconnect in there somewhere--for me, anyway. I guess the digital format is to enable a PP or slideshow coordinated with the music. But if the tracks haven't been adequately remastered, then that's a minus for serious listeners. And if the LPs have been sourced from the best 78s, that's one thing, but if they're just digital copies on vinyl, then what's the point other than a marketing gimmick to attract the retro minded crowd?

But to be fair, I think we''ll just have to wait until the package has been released and we see and hear it in person (and it passes through a rigorous review process) before we really know for sure. I sincerely hope that it really does turn out to be incredible rather than something that causes us to think about "What could have been." We'll see.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 10:53:47 PM »
Exactly, there's no point in being on the bleeding edge, wait and get the reviews.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
Hi all,
Perhaps the best way to finesse the issue of cost is to try to wangle a review copy out of thirdman records with a promise to review the product for _______________ publication/website.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »
Well we certainly would review it and likely stick it on the front page if it lives up to the best expectations, right? Nothing to lose and no harm in asking. I'm happy to go into wangling mode unless someone else beats me to it.

Offline Frank_Scott

• Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
On the Facebook Real Blues Group, Scott Barretta posted that the recordings on the flash drive are going to be in mp3 format. I find this disconcerting since use of flac lossless files would not require a very large flash drive. It also seems that if they are not able to use the resources of people like John Tefteller or Rich Nevins they are not going to have access to the best available copies for remastering - assuming they are remastering from original sources and not just cleaning up old Document reissues.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: The Rise and Fall of Paramount Records vol. 1
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Everything but the $400 price.

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
Well this is definitely not for a gurl on a college budget.  In a few years maybe   :'(

Offline jrn

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
Yeah it's cool and all, but way outta my beer and bologna budget. Ain't even got a dog in that race.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
I merged the recent thread with the earlier discussion.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:35:03 PM by Rivers »

Offline rubin lopez

• Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Orville. It does look incredible.

I downloaded the PDF files last evening and browsed through them. Definitely worth a look if you have time, although the Field Manual is 326 mb and took a while. Not that you couldn't do it yourself, but as a convenience, here are the direct links:

http://thirdmanrecords.com/paramount/pdf/TrackList.pdf

http://thirdmanrecords.com/paramount/pdf/LPTrackList.pdf

http://thirdmanrecords.com/paramount/pdf/ArtBook.pdf

http://thirdmanrecords.com/paramount/pdf/ParamountFieldManual.pdf
Hello Stuart,can i ask you how have you manage to get those PDF's?
i'm trying :'(

Tags: Paramount box 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal