collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm Thinkin' about the year of 19 and 29 - Happy New Year Blues, Lemon Jefferson

Author Topic: Blues and the Soul of Man  (Read 1111 times)

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Blues and the Soul of Man
« on: September 30, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »
Taking advantage of a current sale from Stephan Grossman's website, I picked up this new book, an autobiography of Skip James, kind of like a Jefferson bible, just James' words without all of conjecture that Stephen Calt apparently inserted in his work.  I read several reviews of the Calt book, but never read it.  I just got it and haven't read too far yet but this sounds like a pretty good approach to understanding and gaining insight into the man and his music.  I was deeply mesmerized by his performances many years ago live and on recordings.  I thought a great deal of the John Hurt biography told more about those around him than I really wanted to know.

I guess there will either be a backlash to this approach or some insightful comments but I just wanted to bring it to your attention.  Nice tabs in the back by Tom Feldmann.  I am about to dig in.  Meanwhile...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Blues and the Soul of Man
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »
Thanks for the review, RobBob. It looks like an interesting package. Stefan's sale goes through Friday, so I'll most probably order it up later in the week.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Blues and the Soul of Man
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »

Tags: Skip James 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal