Country Blues > Country Blues Lyrics

Jim Jackson Lyrics

<< < (3/18) > >>

uncle bud:

--- Quote from: GhostRider on June 21, 2012, 09:14:04 AM ---John:

Re: My Monday Woman Blues. I have this tune (by Jim Jackson) on a British compilation and it has a number of different verses, two of which are bridge-like verses with slightly differing chords.

Alex

--- End quote ---

There are two surviving takes of My Monday Woman Blues on Jim Jackson Vol. 1 on Document, take 1 and take 3. And then Jackson also recorded My Monday Blues, essentially the same song with some different opening lyrics that show up later in Blind Willie McTell's East St. Louis Blues. The version JohnM has transcribed is take 3.

Jackson did this a lot of course. I believe there are 142 takes of Kansas City Blues.

Johnm:
Seems like after Jim Jackson got past about "Kansas City Blues, Part 4", he could have spiced things up a little by calling subsequent releases things like "I Still Intend to Move", just as Tampa Red and Georgia Tom could have titled the later versions of "Tight Like That" "It's Still Tight".  It beats the hell out of "Tight Like That, Part Seven".
All best,
Johnm

Johnm:
Hi all,
Jim Jackson recorded his version of "Policy Blues" in 1928, backing himself out of E position in standard tuning.  There are no instrumental fireworks here, just an easy rocking accompaniment with a deep backbeat.  Jim Jackson had such a resonant voice; he always sounds like there's some special reverb on his voice.  I think I have the lyrics right, but I usually make a mistake somewhere, so any help is appreciated.  Here is the recorded performance:

Have you ever taken a chance, with the policy game?
Have you ever taken a chance, with the policy game?
You play three numbers, see what you can gain

If you should lose, don't get mad at all
If you should lose, don't get mad and all
You sure can't win, 'less'n your number's called

I've got the policy blues, I ain't got no money to play
I've got the policy blues, I haven't got no money to play
I know my number will fall today

I woke up in the mornin', with one thin dime
I woke up, up this mornin', with one thin dime
The policy man gets that before the clock strikes nine

Then I set around hungry, the rest of the day
Then I set around hungry, rest of the day
Waitin' for him to come black [sic], with your play

I'll tell you what all the boys on Beale Street know
I will tell you all what the boys on Beale Street know
It's the black man in the train and four--eleven--forty-four

They almost curse, when the drawing comes back
They almost curse, when the drawing come back
That policy man sure can shake a wicked sack

Edited 6/22 to pick up corrections from dj

All best,
Johnm

dj:
Hi, John.  A few corrections and suggestions for Policy Blues:

(Note:  There are two surviving takes of Policy Blues, John has transcribed the unissued one)

Verse 1 line 3:  "You play THREE numbers, see what you can gain"

Verse 2 line 1:  "If you should lose, don't get mad AT all"  Jackson clearly sings AT on both repetitions of the line in the issued take, and I think he sings AT in the first line here and AND in the second.

Verse 4 line 1:  "I woke up IN THE mornin', with one thin dime"  Again, he sings "IN THE" both times in the issued take, I think he just missung the second line here.

Verse 5 line 3:  Just a note - Jackson clearly sings BLACK here, as you have it.  In the issued take, he sings BACK, which makes more sense.  I guess this is one of the reasons why this take was originally unissued.

Verse 6 line 3:   "IT'S the black man in the train and four--eleven--forty-four"  On the issued take, Jackson sings IT IS.

Johnm:
Thanks very much for the help, dj.  I've made the fixes you suggested and found a couple of other places I had wrong when I posted it.  That's great that you can compare with other takes, I think that must be especially helpful in problem areas.
All best,
Johnm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version