collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Got a head full of foolishness, my baby got a ramblin' mind. - Jaybird Coleman

Author Topic: American Primitive Vol. II  (Read 3018 times)

Offline SpikeDriver

• Howdy!
American Primitive Vol. II
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
Reverant Records has posted this notice on their site:

http://www.revenantrecords.com/index.php?section=releases

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: American Primitive Vol. II
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:50:09 PM »
Hi all,
It's a shame they didn't choose to be more forthcoming about what songs will be included in the collection.  I can't believe all the mystification is the best way to get people interested in the set.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 06:44:54 PM »
But it does work though! Got you and I wondering what's on it, maybe they don't know themselves yet.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 08:09:04 AM »
Seems like their market must be something other than, or perhaps in addition to, the country blues and prewar music fan. Only explanation for the crypto-mysterious promo material. That and Fahey was an, um, odd character.

Offline outfidel

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:11:02 AM »
Blues ghosts cry again from discs of long ago

"a spirit who returns after a long absence...phantom creatures who emerged from their dark place and quickly went back..."
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

M.Vidrine

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 06:30:43 PM »
Hey Guys - Just wanted to say that this is the best collection of songs I've heard in a while. I've always been a big Geeshie Wiley fan, but many of the other tracks were new to me. The Henry Spaulding track "Cairo Blues" is great. It's a shame there are only 2 sides by this fellow. There is something about the guitar in the (Red Hot) Old Mose track "Molly Man" that keeps me listening (in a passive way). It almost reminds me of an ice cream truck? And I don't know what to say about Homer Quincy Smith? Really, this is a great CD (other than the packaging - which took no time to fall apart)!

I've got some info & sound clips on the Venerable Site here - http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/TitleDetails.asp?TitleID=10158

I'm anxiously awaiting the medicine show set from Old Hat as well (we should have it in by Friday). Anyone heard it yet?

Malcolm

lebordo

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 09:57:14 PM »
It's a shame they didn't choose to be more forthcoming about what songs will be included in the collection.?

Perhaps they added it after you looked, but the Revenant link now has a complete track list for both of the two discs. 50 tracks, total

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 07:28:15 AM »
Interesting tracklist. I wonder why all the Geeshie Wiley sides are here, all the Bayless Rose sides, as opposed to going with other representative "revenants" and "ciphers" to expand the breadth of the collection?  Maybe these are cleaner examples? Bayless Rose's tracks were never very noisy that I recall. Certainly some of Wiley's stuff would benefit from a cleaner copy.

Looks like a great collection, Malcolm. And it's easier to read the tracklist on your website. ;)

Offline ryan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 11:07:46 AM »
I picked up the album yesterday and I agree that this is one of the best collections I've heard in awhile.  I really like the Homer Quincy Smith track that opens the set.  I have heard that track done by other people but his version IMO is amazing.  What a voice.  Although I had some of the artists on other collections it was cool hearing the ones I hadn't heard before.    Here are some of my highlights...I had never heard geeshie wiley and I really liked "last kind words blues".  Bayless Rose "jamestown exhibition" is great and so is Henry Spaulding's Cairo blues.  I mean no dis-respect to all of you mandolin players, but I must admit I have never liked Mandolin.  There I said it, the cat is out of the bag and you can crucify me now.  I just have never liked the tonality of the instrument.  But....when I heard the Two Poor Boys on this disc...damn that sounded good.  I really enjoyed the mandolin playing on their track on the first disc. I haven't finished the second disc yet but I'll write more when I can listen to it.
Ryan

Offline ryan

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 01:17:34 AM »
Lately I can't get enough of the cut "Don't Mistreat Your Good Boyfriend" by the Bubbling over five (1929).  This song intrigues me.  I love the tempo and everthing else about this song.  One of my favorites I have heard this year.  Did they record anything besides the 2 cuts on this album??

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:25:58 AM »
Those are their only 2 records.  They were led by Bob Brown, who recorded 2 more songs which were never released (Mammy's Little Rolling Stone/Shine On Harvest Moon).

Offline ryan

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:55:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Are those tracks (Bob Brown's) on a compilation that you would recommend?

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 12:15:12 PM »
No, those tracks were never issued.  Most likely, no one will ever hear them.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal