collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What is a blues singer, a good or a bad one? I say he's just a meal ticket for the man or woman who wears dollar signs for eyes - Big Bill Broonzy, quoted by Yannick Bruynoghe in Big Bill Blues, Da Capo Press

Author Topic: Hagstrom BJ12 12 String acoustic 1970ish  (Read 1843 times)

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
Hagstrom BJ12 12 String acoustic 1970ish
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »
I just purchased a Hagstrom BJ12. It's a beautiful 12 string acoustic. The guy who sold it to me said it was from the 60's but I'm more inclined to think it's a 70's model due to the fancy head stock. It came together perfectly. I was listening to Blind Willie McTell trying to pick out some of his tunes and thinking "man I wish I had a 12 string". So I popped on kijiji.ca a buy and sell website and there it was the Hagstrom 12 string for $400 Canadian. It came with a very nice hard shell case with green interior. I checked my bank account and had just enough extra dough to afford it. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I am quite pleased to have it. I tuned it to D standard for a little more McTell style tone. It only has light gauge strings so I didn't want to go too low.

I have all the acoustics I felt like I 'needed" now. haha. I just picked up a Gretsch New Yorker arch top acoustic about a week ago which is now my main guitar and I've had a Dobro for slide guitar for about 2 years now. I also picked up a Grestch Electromatic Centerblock Electric last year. I have a nice tube amp to play it through but I barely play electric these days.

Such a beautiful full tone from this Hagstrom. Anyone else play Hagstrom guitars?

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
Re: Hagstrom BJ12 12 String acoustic 1970ish
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
I remember Zappa used to hawk Hagstroms in magazine ads back in the days.  I have never owned an acoustic  (although I did own a Hagstrom bass for a bit in the mid01960s) but I do have a friend who has a BJ-12.  A cool pawn shop find.  A big old guitar with possibly the coolest looking tailpiece I have ever seen.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »
Here is some pics

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
bridge and head
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:19:03 AM by EddieD »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »
Pretty cool looking.  How's it sound?
Was the zero-fret removed?    Tom

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
It sounds really good. Deep projecting tone. I've tuned it down to D standard and it sounds amazing. I recently dropped it to C and it still sounds great however I need some heavier strings. I'm very pleased with the guitar over all.

As far as I know there was never a zero fret. Either that or it was removed long before I got my hands on it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 06:04:06 PM »
Back in the early 70's a friend, Micky was his name, was one of the best players around our scene in Brighton, Sussex, UK. He had one. He experimented with it a lot and finally settled on stringing it up with 9-strings, doubling up only the bass side, if I recall correctly. Sounded fantastic and unlike anything I'd heard before, or since, for that matter. I can still hear it in my head.

I would certainly jump on a Hagstrom 12 if one showed up around here.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »
That certainly would make for an interesting sound. I always found the octave on the G string would throw me off at times on 12 strings. However tuning the guitar down I don't find it jumps out as much to my ears. But like I said the more I play this guitar the more I'm loving it. I'll have to try and record something with it soon.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal