collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What she did to me, people, ain't never been done before. But she really made me like it, and I want to do some more - Peetie Wheatstraw, Block and Tackle

Author Topic: Champlin Concert  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Champlin Concert
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 12:51:41 PM »
The guitar sounds wonderful, Pan, and you sound wonderful playing it.  It's neat to hear you put it through its paces in all of the different keys and positions.  What was the tune you played in F?  I assume it was your own arrangement--very nifty!
Congratulations to Devin, as well, for making such a fine instrument.  Well done!  It looks like a happy marriage of the right instrument with the right player.
All best,
Johnm

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
Really nice!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
Thanks everybody!

John, the thing in F was my intro for "Hallelujah, I just Love Her So", the Ray Charles tune. I couldn't think of anything else in F for the occasion. :)

I must say I'm impressed with Devin's guitar. It is feather light and very responsive. The bass came out a little boomy on the video, I think,  but it does sound really balanced to my ears, in real life. For a smallish guitar, it does have a big sound.

The guitar is also very pronounced and accurate sounding, which can be a little intimidating, since any playing mistakes will clearly stand out! I'll regard this as a plus, after the initial shock! ;) I'll need to do some serious woodshedding on a number of my tunes, though!

Cheers

Pan
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:11:32 PM by Pan »

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 02:14:09 AM »
Pardon my French, but that guitar is *bleep* lovely! I gotta start saving up now!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
I agree, sounded great Pan. I am going to want to drop by your shop some time myself, Devin.

Not to highjack the thread, but I think Pan's sounds quite favorable compared to Collings new somewhat budget 'Waterloo' line of Kalamazoo inspired guitars - the ladder braced ones anyway. Here is a vid of a good A-B between the ladder and X braced models. To my ear, the X braced is the one to get. I know, I know, not as authentic a blues sound probably.

Dave

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
Great to hear the guitar in action Pan!  Thanks for posting.

Dave- you are welcome to come by.  My number's listed on the contact page of my site.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 01:41:54 AM »
Sounds great, and nice picking too, Pan. Looks like another winner from Devin. I'm envious!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:46 AM »
Thank you guys.

Davek, the Waterloo looks interesting. Someone pointed out on the UMGF forum that you can get a real Kalamazoo KG-14 with less money. But the x-braced one would be quite similar to an L-00, I think, which would be a much more expensive guitar. The x-braced one on the video sounded better to my ears too, at least when strummed with a flatpick. Perhaps this guitar would deserve it's own thread, if and when someone gets to try one?

Cheers

Pan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal