collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ten thousand river commissions, with the mines of the world at their back, cannot tame that lawless stream, cannot curb it or define it, cannot say to it 'Go here,' or Go there, and make it obey; cannot save a shore which it has sentenced; cannot bar its path with an obstruction which it will not tear down, dance over, and laugh at - Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Author Topic: South Memphis String Band  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
South Memphis String Band
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:12:37 PM »
Alvin Youngblood Hart is on the road with Luther Dickinson and Jimbo Mathus at present, we caught the show it Antone's in Austin last night. Had a great time, so did everybody else. Antone's was pretty packed, the guys on stage looked a bit surprised and pleased by the enthusiasm from the crowd at the end.

It was all acoustic instruments, guitars, 12 strings, metal resos, mandos, banjos, lap slide, jawbone, harp. Those planning to attend the Port T mando workshops will be pleased to know Alvin played some real solid mandolin throughout. Top songs for me were Big Road Blues, France Blues, Some Of These Days. Apart from country blues they played some old time and Carter Family tunes.

It's a pretty new ensemble and they're still pulling it together but nobody missed a change or ending and I reckon they sound excellent all round. Catch them if they come through your area. Good interplay on stage with everybody giving each other a lot of space.

http://www.myspace.com/southmemphisstringband

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Re: South Memphis String Band
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
I am planning to catch these guys in Memphis next Saturday, May 09.  I'll let you all know what I think after the show, but I gotta say that I'm looking forward to this performance more than anything that has come through town in a while.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
I hear you, wish we could catch good country blues every week in Austin too, I'd go out more.

They should be cookin' in Memphis, Alvin told me before the show they'd been learning tunes in the truck on the way to the first gig.  :)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
They're all over YouTube already if you do a search. Here's an extendo mandolin jam on Carroll County Blues.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal