collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You try to sing like Muddy Waters, and play like Lightnin' sounds. But since I blowed on my harp you're feelin' mean and confused. It's got you chained to your earphones - you're just a white boy lost in the blues - Brownie McGhee, White Boy Lost in the Blues by Michael Franks performed by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Rube Lacey - Ham Hound Crave Breakdown  (Read 1296 times)

bayrum78

Rube Lacey - Ham Hound Crave Breakdown
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
I am stuck. Can anyone shed light on what Rube Lacey is playing during the I don't want no hog head and the church bells ringing verses of the song? What he is doing is really greasy and cool but it just seems impossibly hard. It sounds like he is sliding or hammering on the 1st string 3rd to 4th fret but not chording. In the bass I  think he is also playing the 5th string alternating the 3rd and 4th fret starting on the 4th fret? Towards the end of each of these verses ( starting at ma' I got a hambone) it sounds like there is shift in the accenting and possibly the sliding/hammering direction. When I actually try to play this section of the song the fingering is really awkward and hard to execute. I hope am missing something and there is a simpler solution - please help if you can!

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Rube Lacey - Ham Hound Crave Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

Bayrum:

JohnM taught Ham Hound Crave the first or second year I attended the Port Townsend workshop.

Fret the 1st and 5th strings at the second fret. I use the ring finger on the first and the middle finger on the fifth. You never have to lift the middle finger while you're playing this part, just slide it up and down between the second and fourth frets.

Hit the first string and slide it up to the fourth fret. At the end of that little slide, hit the fifth string with your thumb.

Lift up your ring finger and hit the first string open. While that note is ringing, slide your middle finger back down to the second fret, and then hit the fifth string with your thumb.

Then fret the first string at the second fret and repeat. No pinches, just alternate hitting of the first and fifth strings, two times each.

Hope this makes sense.

Lindy

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:09:11 AM »
Or, buy John Miller's excellent Jackson Blues lesson dvd and learn this song and some more.

bayrum78

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
Thanks Lindy, that helps! I am still working on the timing aspect of playing the lick you described with minor changes. I will post it on the backporch if I ever get a good handle on it.

Thanks blueshome - I probably won't buy the dvd because I want to work it out for myself as much as possible but I'll keep it mind in case I have a change of heart.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal