collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Your hair is so short, swear to God I can smell your brains - Kid Stormy Weather (Edmund Joseph), Short Hair Blues

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254182 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1650 on: April 27, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »
Where's the "thumbs up" emoticon?  :)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #1651 on: April 27, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
Yes... fantastic! Ha!  Thanks for posting Sunflower.

You rejected the idea.   :P

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #1652 on: April 28, 2021, 12:33:37 AM »
Just had to:

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1653 on: May 11, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »
Hi all,
Here is "Scottdale Stomp", by Walker's Corbin Ramblers, featuring Larry Hensley, who recorded a ripping version of "Match Box Blues" on guitar. I think this tune rivals "J. E. Mainer's version of "The Longest Train" for wonky time. Enjoy!(?):

All best,
Johnm

Offline harriet

« Reply #1654 on: June 13, 2021, 08:11:58 AM »
Enjoyed these two clips with Libby Rae Watson talking a little about her experiences with Big Joe Williams and Sam Chatmon as well as her song about Big Joe...

and her song...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #1655 on: June 13, 2021, 10:50:41 PM »
You rejected the idea.   :P

Really? If so it was probably back in the days of the Facebook 'like' implementation, which was, and still is, totally crass and self serving. Shades of grey; are there really only 4 emotions possible to a read comment? 1) Like 2) say nothing, or 3) concoct another comment that says nothing other than "awesome" or something 4) Say something that adds value to the previous post.

What about "I agree/disagree and have nothing worthwhile to add other than an expression of support, or confusion"?

Anyway please check out the discussion I started on the mods forum. I feel pretty sure there is a need to provide another shade of grey to our users' ways of expressing their involvement without having to reply to a post with another post with "awesome", which BTW, I just did elsewhere, for example. I had nothing to add other than agreement. Should have been one- or two clicks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:12:43 PM by Rivers »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1656 on: June 16, 2021, 06:04:25 AM »
Hi all,
This is D. A Hunt's "Greyhound Blues" and it just came up on my youtube feed, having just been posted there. I know nothing about him but he seems to be working Lightnin' Hopkins' territory.

All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #1657 on: June 16, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »
Daniel Augusta Hunt, born May 23 1929 in Munford, Alabama.  He worked at one point for the Union Foundry Pipe Company in Anniston, Alabama, during which period he worked nights as a musician.  Hunt recorded his 2 extant titles for Sun in Memphis in 1953.  He crops up again in 1958 when he was arrested in Memphis for stealing a saxophone.  When being booked for the theft, he gave his occupation as guitar player at the Bungalow Inn.  Hunt died in Phoenix, Arizona in 1962.

Hunt's only Sun record is a real rarity.  According to the notes to the Sun Blues Box, John Tefteller paid $10,323 for the only known copy in 2011.

By the way, the photo accompanying the video really is D.A. Hunt. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:52:45 PM by dj »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1658 on: June 16, 2021, 02:27:21 PM »
Thanks very much for that information on D. A. Hunt, dj! I bet that's about all the information that is out there to be found. Thanks!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1659 on: June 18, 2021, 08:13:30 AM »
Hi all,
This was just put up, by the very great Frankie Lee Sims, doing "Don't Forget Me, Baby". Those greasy chords on the lap steel backing him sure sound good!

All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #1660 on: June 18, 2021, 10:06:41 AM »
Wow, Frankie Lee Sims meets Bob Wills (Leon McAuliffe). What a great sound!

L

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #1661 on: June 18, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »
Frankie Lee Sims would be near the top of my list of the 10 most under-appreciated post-war blues artists.  I've heard everything he recorded except his last session (1960 in New York City), and I don't think I've heard anything by him that didn't make me want to get up and dance.  The guy knew how to get into a deep groove!

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #1662 on: June 22, 2021, 05:20:28 PM »
I just found this in my inbox, from Smithsonian Folkways:

"The music of Joseph Spence has touched many, from all walks of life and musical backgrounds, but one resounding sentiment we've heard time and time again is that Spence's music simply makes you smile. We're here to bring some of that infectious joy your way with 3 new tracks from the upcoming collection of unearthed music, Encore: Unheard Recordings of Bahamian Guitar and Singing.

Spence’s radically innovative guitar style transformed elements of Bahamian traditional music into adventurous improvisations, influencing players worldwide. His powerful singing stemmed directly from the rhyming tradition created by Bahamian sponge fishermen, and punctuates his music with unique, otherworldly vocalizations.

The sampler includes "Out on the Rolling Sea," recorded at a Friends of Old Time Music concert in New York in 1965. The popular rhyming anthem was one of the older religious songs of the Bahamian settlements, and this lively version shows off Spence’s rhyming style and features his sister Edith. Also included is Spence's only solo recording of the hymn "Won't That Be a Happy Time" (which was also sung by the choir at his funeral service in Nassau in 1984) and the traditional spiritual "Give Me That Old Time Religion."

To hear these three cuts on youtube, go here:

For more info on the "Encore" recording, go here:

https://folkways.si.edu/joseph-spence/encore?mc_cid=ca944ddb59&mc_eid=a0850520e0

Lindy

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #1663 on: June 22, 2021, 05:38:43 PM »
Well "Won't That Be a Happy Time?" is a great intro to Joseph Spence... otherwise I'm afraid newbies might be frightened away... ha!  Thanks for posting Lindy.. Spence is wonderfully unique.

Here is an oldie but goldie that popped up on my feed, and I've posted before, John Miller's "Singing Moon"  and I'm still in love with Eva, even though she's probably about my kids age!  I'm a fan of Argentinian tango as well. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal