collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"You can't play no blues unless you have some hard times. Young people today, I don'y care whether they're black or white, they didn't come up like Muddy and me, they come up too easy" - Howlin' Wolf to Peter Guralnick, Feel Like Going Home.

Author Topic: An Anniversary To Note...maybe?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

An Anniversary To Note...maybe?
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »
I crave your indulgence for a few moments. This month marks 45 years since Mike Leadbitter and Simon Napier published the world's first English language blues magazine, Blues Unlimited.

The first issue was announced to the world by Derrick Stewart-Baxter in his Jazz Journal column thus:

"A new magazine has been published by the Blues Appreciation Society, entitled Blues Unlimited. It will be published every five weeks - the first issue contains a positive wealth of information and interesting articles such as a summary of the blues releases on Crown and many other features. It costs 1/6d per copy (9/- for six issues) and can be obtained from Simon A. Napier, 38a Sackville Road, Bexhill-on-Sea. Very highly recommended."

The magazines's editorial commenced:

"This the first of what we hope will be many issues of our magazine", commenced the editorial of the issue that covered  Bull City Red (Paul Oliver), Jr Parker (John Broven), Crown LPs (Napier) and much more besides. The news of the time was that police disguised as a hillbilly act arrested Baby Face Lewis on drugs charges and an obituary for Mercy Dee Walton who died the previous December."

BU continued for 25 years and enjoyed many 'firsts' (some I've reprinted at Weenie) and I'm sure few would deny that without the work of this magazine, its astonishingly knowledgeable editors/contributors, blues appreciation wouldn't be what it is today.

I shall now step down from my soap-box.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: An Anniversary To Note...maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
Amen Bunker baby, see my post on jharris's thread. Thank the Good Lawd for crazed European blues fans, I was once one myself.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »
Just for the record (no pun intended) the first blues magazine was the Belgian Rhythm & Blues Panorama edited by Serge Tonneau. It commenced in January 1960 and lasted until 1966 (no. 43). On the prewar front the main contributors were Jacques Demetre and Georges Adins who brought to the magazine articles on those they had met and interviewed.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:31:38 AM »
The news of the time was that police disguised as a hillbilly act arrested Baby Face Lewis on drugs charges

Ah, the old hillbilly act disguise trick. How Coen Brothers of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal