collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When Alan posed the question "What are the blues? What do they mean to you?" the answers were in part something he sought for himself, to understand this musical form that may have been as ancient as the griots in West Africa, or perhaps as recent as the automobile, the airplane, and the phonograph (all of which made guest appearances in the blues). The blues had become a craze, like ragtime, which grew up alongside it, and it leaped from the bottom of the social order to the Astors and the Vanderbilts, who staged blues contests for their own amusement well before the rest of white America came to know them - from Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World, by John Szwed

Author Topic: Honeyboy Edwards  (Read 2331 times)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Honeyboy Edwards
« on: February 24, 2007, 07:40:03 AM »
I'm Finally Seeing Honeyboy Edwards Live Today (24th Of February) In Toledo, Ohio.

I'm Pretty Sure It's A Free Performance At "Culture Clash Records" A Local Record Shop.

If You Have Seen Honeyboy Edwards Live, Tell Me What You Thought Of His Performance.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Honeyboy Edwards
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
Honeyboy came to the Port Townsend workshop a couple times. He's pretty darn old now, and it shows in his playing. He seems to have good days and bad days playing-wise. His voice is still great and raspy and I remember his eyes just shining. He's a sharp looking dude for his 90-something years.

I remember they tried to get me to cook him a steak at the Weenie House (we we're having fish or something Honeyboy didn't want to eat). The steak was numerous days past its "best before date" and looked rather suspect, particularly if we were going to be serving it to a 90-year-old man. I refused to be remembered as the guy who grilled the steak that killed Honeyboy. We made other arrangements. Andy Cohen ate the steak and lived.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:27:55 PM by uncle bud »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:17:30 PM »
MIss.:

I saw Edwards about 3 years ago in a small club here in Calgary. He was playing solo, accompanied by an electric thinline archtop guitar.

I thought he was mediocre. He played mostly 50's "standards" blues and Robert Johnson tunes. That did not diminish the thrill of seeing him play.

I have passed up a couple of chances to see him since.

Alex

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »
I Just Got Back From The Concert, He Was Outstanding!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 04:02:03 AM »
And you even got your pic with him on as well, go for it   ;D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »

leonard

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 08:15:17 AM »
I saw Honeyboy Edwards a couple years ago in Rehobeth Delaware. He was Great. Bought a cd from him after the show,talked for a moment with him. He was really friendly. Cool picture Calvin. Frame it.
Glad you got to see him and meet him.  Lenny

JimNJBlues

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »
  I've seen Honeyboy twice.. once playing acoustic, once with electric.. he was GREAT.  His playing can be kind of iffy at times, but you don't notice.
  My dad, who's never been a fan of that kind of music, went with me.. walked out saying it was the best show he's ever seen.

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 06:49:59 AM »
I saw Honeyboy at the Cedarburg Cultural Center (that's north of Milwaukee)  late last year, and he was outstanding. As a few others have said, his playing can be a little "off" at times, but that's easy to overlook with someone of his age. Just  being in the same room with him and hearing that great voice -- inspiring show, to say the least. He also had a great sideman with him, Paul Kaye, who I believe is a Chicago artist -- did a great version of "Stomp That Thing" during a Honeyboy break.

And for those interested, Honeyboy is scheduled to appear at the Times Cinema in Milwaukee on June 1. Be there!

Mike

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal