collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Everybody lost their style after Whitney and Mariah. There's no depth. No taste. It's like cooking collard greens and not putting any meat in them - James Brown, upon turning 70, who was getting ready to take his jumpsuits and high heels on the road again during the summer of 2003. The hardest working man in showbiz has a lot to say about music today, and he doesn't sugarcoat it

Author Topic: Blind Boy Fuller: Document or JSP?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline funkapus

Blind Boy Fuller: Document or JSP?
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »

From what I can tell, there's two routes to take to accumulating a fairly comprehensive set of Blind Boy Fuller's recordings.  The first is the set of six Document Records releases.  The other is the two multi-CD sets from JSP.  I'm curious about people's opinions betwenn them.  As far as I can tell, both of them have the same Blind Boy Fuller tracks; but the second JSP set has a bunch of additional related artists as well.  Most of that material is available elsewhere, but not all.  In particular, as far as I can tell, the second JSP set is the only place to find the four Dennis McMillon tracks.  OTOH, the sound quality on JSP releases, compared to Document, is often erratic and the liner notes poor; but I don't know whether that's true for these two JSP releases as I haven't heard them.

Any opinions/advice?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Blind Boy Fuller: Document or JSP?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »
I haven't heard the JSP, but the sound on the Documents for 85% of the tracks is good to excellent. Fullers records were made late enough that the sound quality is fine, it's just finding copies that haven't been played to death that's hard. But I wouldn't think there'd be much difference sound wise between the two. Amazon usually has sound samples of the JSP. I'd be surprised if they hadn't just copied the Document anyway!
Chris

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
I had one of the Documents, and a friend had the JSP boxes.....they sound about the same so I went for both of the JSP boxes.....For the most part the JSP sets sound about as good as any I've heard, including the Yazoo sets. The price and amount of material available from the JSP sets make them as easy choice for me, especially if you'd like a large collection. Just my two cents.....

Rick

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »
I don't like the cheap, cartoonish packaging on the JSP sets. But yeah they give alot of music for a reasonable price.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
Since Fuller recorded relatively late, when both the recording studios and record production had become much more sophisticated. He also was a very popular seller so there are many examples of most of his recordings out there. You'll find that most reissues are going to be pretty good sounding.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
Hi all,
I would would definitely choose the JSP sets over the Document Fuller re-issues, because with the JSP sets you also get all of the Cedar Creek Sheik's cuts, all of Sonny Jones' solo cuts, the same for Dennis McMillon, Floyd Council, Bull City Red, Virgil Childers, Roosevelt Antrim, Rich and Willie Trice.  That's a ton of great music in addition to Blind Boy Fuller.
All best,
Johnm

Offline oddenda

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
I agree with John... equal sound, but lots of pertinent "extras" with the JSP boxes.

pbl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal