collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blind Lemon Jefferson, that famous down-home Blues singer from down-Dallas-way, and his guitar, have gone to work and made a record that will almost make your phonograph trot - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Paramount publicity for Black Horse Blues

Author Topic: "Sundown Man" J.B. Smith  (Read 1028 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
"Sundown Man" J.B. Smith
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
Oxford American has an article by Nathan Salsburg about J.B. Smith, a prisoner at Ramsey State Farm in Texas who was recorded by Bruce Jackson of Wake Up Dead Man fame.

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/item/427-sundown-man

A CD is planned for release in April by Dust-to-Digital.

(Given that the article describes J.B. Smith as Homeric, I'll be hoping for complete lyric transcriptions, a big failing of the recent, and musically great, Parchman book and CD set.)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: "Sundown Man" J.B. Smith
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:59:09 PM »
looks excellent!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:34:12 AM »
Some of J.B. Smith's recordings were issued in 1966 -- soon after they were recorded -- on Takoma B1009.  Tracks are the 22min Ever Since I Have Been a Man Full-Grown and five others -- I Got Too Much Time For the Crime I Done, The Danger Line, No More Good Time In the World For Me, Sundown Man and Bud Russell, all recorded at Ramsey Prison Farm, Tx on November 18, 1965 by Bruce Jackson. The album notes include lyric transcripts.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
FWIW the Takoma LP notes can be read at item B1009 http://www.wirz.de/music/takomfrm.htm

Tags: J.B. Smith 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal