collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Genuine negro blues in the style the negro likes. Be sure to demonstrate this record to every negro that comes to your counter. Tell them it is made by a real negro - ARC 1931 dealer sheet plugging a Collins release, quoted by Chris Smith, notes from Yazoo's Crying Sam Collins, Jail House Blues

Author Topic: buying a guitar from china is it worth it and legal?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline bluespreachercreighton

• Howdy!
buying a guitar from china is it worth it and legal?
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
hi I was wondering I cant afford a national and have checked out some Chinese resonators that looks similar to resonators. are they worth it and legal?

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: buying a guitar from china is it worth it and legal?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »
You can buy some perfectly legal and ok sounding Chinese Resonators under the Regal, Gretsch and Fender labels. None are as good as a National but neither is anything you're going to buy from China directly.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline harriet

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:27:59 AM »
I would try either the Michael Messer resonators in the UK, they are highly recommended and are created and set up according the Messer's personal supervision or something from the republic resonator line.  Both are made in China and can be viewed in youtube videos.  Both these have "biscuit cones" like a national guitar.

Some people like the Gretsche line and they carry both "biscuit" and "spider bridge" models. The one's I have tried have had issues out of the box and I would not recommend them.

The regal line I believe is going to be a spider bridge instrument, which is different from a national.

Buying direct from China IMHO probably you should prepare to take it to a shop to have it set up - when you get it. I think the quality is inconsistent and you risk getting something that looks good but is not a proper instrument. The small manufacturers mentioned first paragraph in the UK and US work with factories to make  good working instruments.

Harriet

Offline Bluesgal

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 07:40:54 AM »
I bought a wood bodied Recording King reso from China - it sounds good but has some minor issues.

I needed to stain a pale area on the fretboard and the saddle could do with a bit of work!

But for £140 I'm not complaining!

Annette
Yours for the blues!

Annette

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal