collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's all I got to say - to you to today - please help me Lord, in the name of God - Robert Pete Williams, Pardon Denied Again

Author Topic: 78 Release Dates--How fast could it happen?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline DavidR

• Howdy!
78 Release Dates--How fast could it happen?
« on: October 19, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »
I am familiar with various sources for learning when a particular song was recorded, and I'm wondering what information has been compiled about when songs were actually released. A related issue that I'm especially interested in is the speed with which a record could be released. If I recorded a song, let's say, on October 26, 1928, what's the earliest date by which a 78 of that song might be in the hands of a consumer?

Thanks,
DavidR

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: 78 Release Dates--How fast could it happen?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
It wasn't long - I'd have to check my discographies for the exact recording date, but for instance, Fiddlin' John Carson recorded "Death of Floyd Collins," which came out sometime in April 1925 - Collins died Feb. 3 of that year.
Chris

Offline DavidR

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
It wasn't long - I'd have to check my discographies for the exact recording date, but for instance, Fiddlin' John Carson recorded "Death of Floyd Collins," which came out sometime in April 1925 - Collins died Feb. 3 of that year.
Chris

I'm finding April 1925 as the recording date as well. So recorded and released the same month? That's pretty quick. What's the source for the release date? Advertising?

Thanks,
DavidR

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
In this case just listed in a couple places on the net but usually the release dates do come from dealer flyers or advertising if there aren?t official company ledgers still available.

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
David,
In the Victor Black Label Discography by John R. Bolig, some of the records include recording dates and release dates. The very first entry has a recording date of March 18 1935 and a release date of March 27 1935, so it only took 9 days to get the record pressed. A free copy of the pdf of the book can be found at https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/VictorBlackLabelDiscography_v5.pdf

Lew

Offline DavidR

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
David,
In the Victor Black Label Discography by John R. Bolig, some of the records include recording dates and release dates. The very first entry has a recording date of March 18 1935 and a release date of March 27 1935, so it only took 9 days to get the record pressed. A free copy of the pdf of the book can be found at https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/VictorBlackLabelDiscography_v5.pdf

Lew

Wow, that's impressive. Thanks, Lew!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal