collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This song was covered by a famous rock and roll musician who became a folk singer because he can afford to - Roy Book Binder, introducing Delia, a Gary Davis song

Author Topic: The Lonnie Johnson – Eddie Lang Acoustic Guitar Duets  (Read 425 times)

Offline jasobr

• Howdy!
The Lonnie Johnson – Eddie Lang Acoustic Guitar Duets
« on: February 20, 2023, 07:17:20 AM »
In honor of Black History Month, I've posted a detailed account of what happened when the most advanced blues guitarist of the Roaring Twenties teamed up with the era's foremost jazz guitarist. As heard in the embedded musical samples, the duets they created stand the test of time and continue to challenge and inspire.

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/the-lonnie-johnson-eddie-lang-acoustic

#LonnieJohnson #eddielang #jazzguitar #bluesguitar #LouisArmstrong #talkingguitar

Offline MarkC

Re: The Lonnie Johnson – Eddie Lang Acoustic Guitar Duets
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 09:08:18 AM »
Thanks for this Jas. Their duets are some of my all-time favorites. I’m still listening to all the links in your piece.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 10:34:04 AM »
Hi Jas: Thank you for the link to your piece and for including the embedded links.

Here are a few more links for those interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Blues-Guitars-1-Eddie-Lang/dp/B00000DHVO

Offline Tim Connor

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 10:04:17 PM »
It's worth mentioning that Lonnie was never really happy about being pigeonholed as a blues guitarist--he had broader interests, and said that it was just that he got his first recording contract by winning a blues talent contest, and it took a while for him to convince the record companies to let him branch out into jazz.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal