collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got Sonny up to Harlem, and we started street playin' in New York. We did that for three or four years and survived. We brought it back to the streets again - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Jailhouse Rag  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
Jailhouse Rag
« on: August 18, 2004, 06:39:21 PM »
I don't know why I continue to embarrass myself like this.  Here's a sloppy rendition of David Miller's "Jailhouse Rag," a beautiful piece that I butcher in several places.  My Gibson guitar buzzes, and the air conditioning is on, and the bit rate either makes it sound better or worse, depending on your point of view.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Jailhouse Rag
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 06:47:46 PM »
I thought Gibsons were supposed to buzz...

Nice playing, Montgomery. A fun little rag I haven't heard before. For some reason, I can imagine John Jackson having played this piece. Sounds good to me!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 06:55:43 PM »
I dunno man - I wouldn't call that embarrassing... ?pretty ambitious in spots. ?I like the way you snap the bass - sounds good! ?You sound nice & loose, too - very cool.

This is a great piece - I picked it up off of County's Old-Time Mountain Guitar a couple of years ago.? Everybody I know who plays it does the opening differently.? We all argue about it...? the other thing I love about David Miller's original is the way he plays the bass over the F chord:? I think of it as one up, three down.? He plays the first beat of the measure on the sixth string, then three beats on the inner strings:? low - high - high - high.? It's something you hear a lot of guys do - Tom Dickson and the guy from the Leake County Revelers come to mind.

Nice job - keep 'em coming!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 07:01:04 PM »
This is a great piece - I picked it up off of County's Old-Time Mountain Guitar a couple of years ago.?

Gonna have to go and listen to OTMG. Good lord, I own this record...? :-[
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:37:36 AM by waxwing »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 07:12:43 PM »
Nice job Aaron!  It has a nice funky old time feel to it - whatever the combo of guitar, bit rate and playing - it sounds good I like it! 

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 10:39:27 AM »
Thanks for the comments and compliments everybody. 

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal