collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He took away the harmonica and the mike, made mincemeat out of me, then handed back and said, 'You can't play shit' - Gary Primich, on meeting his idol Big Walter Horton

Author Topic: Woody Mann in the UK  (Read 3052 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Woody Mann in the UK
« on: February 26, 2005, 08:42:34 AM »
Thought I'd pass this along for our UK friends. Just appeared in my inbox.

Woody Mann acousticsessions? Guitar Workshop
July 2 & 3, 2005?
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Acoustic Blues, Ragtime?Fingerstyle Guitar Weekend

* Beginning to advanced students
* Relaxed informal and non-competitive atmosphere
* Individual instruction
* Beautiful setting
* Concert / Jams
* Limited enrollment

with?guest teachers Trevor?Laurence and Stewart Jordan.
Please visit our website http://www.acousticsessions.com/uk05.htm?for complete details.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Woody Mann in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:13:35 PM »
By the way, if anybody's planning to go to this...walk right outside the venue, turn left, go straight on for about 300 yards till you get to row of Victorian terraces on a street (probably still without tarmac) called Maddocks Street. At number 28, fifty-eight years ago minus a couple of weeks, Prof Scratchy woke up for the first time this mornin, looked out the window, and instantly had the blues.....

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 05:37:16 AM »
And Boy ! He still got 'em !!!

Hi there !   O0

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 04:50:20 AM »
I've just signed up for this....

Any other Weenies going?

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 06:07:21 AM »
Heard a baby crying, what do this mama mean
Heard a baby crying, what do this mama mean
He's crying 'bout his sweet milk, and she won't feed him Jersey cream

BLJ

P.S.  The timing is much better for this for me than other CB "camps", but, alas, wrong continent!  tom

Offline GerryC

• Jest settin' here a-pickin' and a grinnin'
    • www.reverbnation.com/gerrycooper
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:58:12 AM »
Hi Norfolk Slim. Yes, I'm billed out and bound to go to Woody's seminar in Saltaire: so are several denizens of The Woodshed over at the Guitar Workshop. There was a thread about it on the 'shed but it was severely damaged by the EZboard hacker a few weeks ago. I live about a mile from the venue and I had selflessly researched all the pubs and restaurants in the area for the benefit of participants and sadly all that valuable information was lost... :-[ Now I'll have to start researching all over again.  ;D
I'll look forward to meeting you at Saltaire: look out for me - I'll be the middle aged white guy with a guitar case and thus dead easy to spot.

Cheerily,

Gerry C
I done seen better days, but I'm puttin' up with these...

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 05:05:58 AM »
I'll be the slightly younger than middle aged white guy with a guitar case....

Im coming up on Friday night- staying at the Ibis so I'll be raring to go come Saturday morning.

Offline GerryC

• Jest settin' here a-pickin' and a grinnin'
    • www.reverbnation.com/gerrycooper
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 08:00:01 AM »
Just thought I'd report back after the Woody Mann workshop. It was terrific: an invaluable learning experience, not just for the actual music pieces studied (which were interesting, demanding and covered a range of blues styles) but for the attitude and tips Woody and his team imparted about listening, practising, learning songs from records and the absolute necessity of putting the hours in if you want to improve your playing. It was great to meet a posse of good guys (and one gal!) all bent on having a good time and learning more about his amazing music and the astonishing instrument we all love. The highlight for me was the Saturday evening concert: some great singin', a LOT of terrific pickin' and industrial quantities of happy grinnin'. It included a debut public performance by this forum's own Norfolk Slim, who, if that night was anything to go by, should be out there entertaining the deserving public. I did a couple of numbers, on the second of which Woody played lead - whoo! He is a true scholar of the guitar and a gentleman too. Thanks to all the guys who made the weekend so enjoyable, and especially to Woody and Trevor for their work. And a very big special thanks to Woody for letting us hear some of his tapes of the Rev Gary Davis - wonderful to hear the old genius in such an informal mode.

Cheerily but still sore-fingeredly,

Gerry C
I done seen better days, but I'm puttin' up with these...

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
I'll second all of that- (apart from praise for my performance obviously :-)).

It was a good weekend- and the thing I notice above all from these types of things is that even if you don't sit down and make something of the pieces you've been taught over the weekend, you (A) get a lot of ideas and (B) get a renewed enthusiasm and determination to learn more and develop.

Since I've got back, I have tackled jitterbug swing and steady rolling man (having shyed away from both for a long time) in addition to the Scrapper Blackwell thing that Woody taught us.  I'm just waiting for the Scrapper CD to arrive form Amazon so I can get the lyrics for that as well...

Had a great evening on Saturday, up late chatting with woody and a few others about his time with RGD amongst other things..  I feel really privileged to have been part of that conversation (and beer drinking) as well as to have heard the tapes which Gerry mentioned above.

I should add that Gerry himself is a very accomplished player and that I suspect his CD is well worth listening to!

Oh- and if John M reads this- Woody said to say hello.

ahhh.... and I accidentally bought a new guitar as well  ::)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 12:10:17 PM by Norfolk Slim »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal