collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When he was brought to Europe in 1951 he was a caretaker, a 'mopper', at the Iowa State College, and on his return resumed his menial work as a janitor - Paul Oliver on Big Bill Broonzy, Blues Off the Record

Author Topic: Memphis Minnie-Queen of the Country Blues Box Set  (Read 2426 times)

Offline LeftyStrat

Memphis Minnie-Queen of the Country Blues Box Set
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
Hello all,

I've had the box set listed in the subject on various wish lists for some time now and I've been on the fence about going ahead with the purchase (well, that and insufficient funds).  What drew me to it was the side "Frisco Town", which I happened to dial up on my MP3 player at work today. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell from the track listing, that's the only tune I'm familiar with right at the moment.

Would any of you recommend picking up this set?  I feel one track out of so many is not a good sample to go on.

Hope I made sense there. Been a long day :D

Lefty :)
Stop by and give a listen! :)

http://www.facebook.com/leftystratblues

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Memphis Minnie-Queen of the Country Blues Box Set
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
It's a good set. My problem is that Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe are right up at the top of my list with people like Lemon, Patton, Wilkins etc. And this set leaves off any songs where Joe sings lead, which is a strike against it, IMO. But for the price, like many JSP sets, it's hard to go wrong. There are many classics on it: Drunken Barrelhouse, Chickasaw Train, Bumble Bee, I'm Going Back Home, Reachin' Pete, What's the Matter With the Mill. The Document Minnie and Joe discs look like they are currently unavailable, making the decision even easier. And you can look around for Kansas Joe-lead tracks elsewhere. You probably have a number on compilations. Don't expect Yazoo or Old Hat quality on the remastering.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
I agree that the set would be much stronger if it included the tracks where Joe McCoy sings lead.  But, hey, 124 tracks of Memphis Minnie could never be a bad thing to have.

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
I agree too, but surely it is time for the deluxe box set with a handsome book with plenty of photos, essays, biographical stuff, remastered properly??  I'm gonna start bugging Chris Strachwitz about this.  Memphis Minnie was the first LP he put out, I believe, and I know that he visited her in the nursing home, and was scrupulous about making sure she got her royalties.  But perhaps the Garons are already working on such a project??

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:20:24 PM »
Amen to that, Suzy, what a great project, and long overdue.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:11 PM »
Memphis Minnie was the first LP he put out, I believe
Indeed in 1964 on his Blues Classic label. In 1974 he reissued it with new liner notes, those on the original are sparse. Volume two (BC13) was issued in 1967.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:29 AM »
..... perhaps the Garons are already working on such a project??

Regarding a revised edition of the book last month Paul reported the following:

A glimmer of light has just begun shining on the  possibility of a  new edition, so we're keeping our fingers crossed. There are a number of significant additions and corrections that could see the light of day.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
I have Kansas Joe's album "One in a Hundred".  Does it supply any of the desired (missing) Joe/Minnie tracks?

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/2965557/a/One+In+A+Hundred.htm
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:50:59 AM by misterjones »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
That includes about half the Joe/Minnie cuts on which Joe sings lead.

Offline LeftyStrat

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »
Uncle Bud,

You mentioned the Document CDs for getting the tracks that Kansas Joe sings lead on.  I've found those available on Amazon, but now I'm torn.  There's about a 40 track difference between those and the box.  I did notice there were 4 or 5 other Document CDs for Minnie apparently covering the period after they went their separate ways.

I'm wondering if I should get the box set in addition to the first 4 Document discs, rather than all 8 or 9 Documents (as I would at one time be prone to do).    It looks as if it might be the more cost-efficient option.   

Any pros or cons?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
I got the two JSP sets plus the first four Documents for the Kansas Joe songs.  Admittedly, three of the Documents I got on sale for around $5 US, so it wasn't a bad deal at all.  the Kansas Joe songs are very much worth having, no matter how you get them.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:00:23 AM »
dj's solution is probably the most cost effective. There's no elegant solution. You may want to wait for the next Document sale to see if the Minnie and Joe discs come back on sale, which can happen.

Offline LeftyStrat

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
I think I'm gonna definitely get the first 4 Document discs when finances allow. 

Now if only I could find Vol 1 available for download (Amazon has 2, 3, and 4).   

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
Amazon has 2, 3, and 4

Yeah, but then you don't get the notes and discography.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
Isn't Document 1 all piano-based stuff? I got 2, 3 & 4 in a used bin (great day) and thought I'd auditioned 1 on iTunes, and flagged it as not being all that interesting. I might be misremembering.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal