collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
So I asked him to play "Trav'lin' All Alone." That came closer than anything to the way I felt. And some part of it must have come across. The whole joint quieted down. If someone had dropped a pin, it would have sounded like a bomb. When I finished, everybody in the joint was crying in their beer, and I picked thirty-eight bucks up off the floor - Billie Holiday, 1915-1959

Author Topic: Fort Valley Music Festival  (Read 1410 times)

Offline CF

Fort Valley Music Festival
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »
Just found a link to this from the Uncensored History of the Blues Page . . . there's a lot of stuff here & it looks to be free to download . . . also there are reproduced sections of Red River Blues by Bruce Bastin.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ftvhtml/ftvhome.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:38:50 AM by cheapfeet »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Fort Valley Music Festival
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »
Well I just followed a longish internet trail back here, and can only second Mike's suggestion for this site.  :)

For example, check out Sonny Chestain's "Po' Boy Long Way From Home"

http://rs6.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/ftvbib:@field%28AUTHOR+@od1%28Chestain,+Sonny;+guitar%29%29 which has a very nice rhythm to it.

Bastin discusses these recordings on the 5th chapter of his book at length; Noncommercial Recordings: The 1940s.

I wonder if tags for both Bruce Bastin and Red River Blues would be handy on this thread?

Cheers

Pan
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:04:19 PM by Pan »

Offline oddenda

Re: Fort Valley Music Festival
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »
A very important and unique phenomenon that was essentially "voted out" by the students in the fifties according to Prof Mathis. Would that more Black colleges had done similar things, but negative associations put paid to that possibility in the main.

Peter B.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal