collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now a short haired woman waiting for to carry your troubles on. Make you think through the daytime, trouble you all night long. She make you think you right, when you know darn well you wrong - Will Batts, Country Woman

Author Topic: Joe Callicott's Guitar Playing--Tips and Queries  (Read 4468 times)

barry james

Joe Callicott's Guitar Playing--Tips and Queries
« on: January 01, 2005, 05:26:28 PM »
There are so many marvellous songs and instrumentals on this station... I have a fair record collection of mainly country blues so I'm familiar with some of the artists but my ears have been opened to so many I've never heard before...I could spend hours listening, but so often the real world steps in plus I do have to spend some time practicing the guitar.

Is anybody familiar with "Lonesome Katy" and tried to work out the guitar part? I'm a reasonable player but my weakness is figuring the playing...I believe it starts in G, but beyond that I'm lost; also I sense it's fairly easy once you know what's being done.

Any help would be welcome.

Barry James 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:07:53 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: lonesome katy--joe callicot
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 06:17:20 PM »
Hi Barry,
You are right--"Lonesome Katy" is in G, standard tuning.  Chords are as you would expect, I, IV, and V (G, C, and D), and the melody pretty much sits right under the hand as it fingers those chords.  I think if you get in tune with the recording and imitate the sounds you hear, you will get it pretty quickly.  It is interesting, in that it employs the same melody in the guitar part that Furry Lewis used for "I Will Turn Your Money Green", which he played in Spanish (open G) tuning.  Best of luck with "Lonesome Katy".
All best,
Johnm   

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 09:35:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum Barry!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 10:05:40 PM »
One of my favorite Callicott tunes. I actually like it more than Turn Your Money Green. Always meant to figure it out - so many tunes, so little time!

barry james

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 09:21:30 AM »
Gentlemen: Thanks for the replies...For JohnM, I'll work on your suggestions and see what develops, I may come back to you because he's doing some string bending that I might have trouble with.

? Also, are you the same JohnM who has put out a # of instructional videos?...If so, I recently bought one of the MJH[my favourite guitarist]? plus the Elizabeth Cotton, good stuff. I love Spanish? Fandango; right now I'm working on the John Dilleshaw version [ it's fairly easy, the challenge is to?get it clean and up to speed ] and when I'm satisfied with that I'll try to incorporate Cotton's version to?see if they work together, even tho the timing is different for each.

Barry James
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 10:00:50 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 10:50:08 AM »
Hi Barry,
Yes, I am the John Miller who did the John Hurt and Elizabeth Cotten videos.  I am glad you are enjoying them.  It was great spending the time necessary with their music to try to learn it as they played it. 
Re Joe Callicot, I think that whole Fat Possum CD is a treasure trove of great material, and as Uncle Bud has stated elsewhere, I think the singing alone is worth the price of admission.  If you finger your G chord in "Lonesome Katy" as you would for John Hurt's "Spike Driver Blues", you will see that there are three logical places to do bends with your little finger:  3rd fret on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings.  Bear that in mind as you work through the piece and I'm sure you will have it soon.
All best,
Johnm

barry james

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 06:09:34 PM »
Thank you sir.

Barry James

Offline harriet

Mississippi Joe Callicot Style Lessons?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
I am wondering if his style or material is being taught anywhere, or songs broken down - its probably too advanced for me but I am curious about it. Is Frank Stokes close to it in the opinion of people who are knowledgeable in the forum?

Thank you in advance,
Harriet

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Mississippi Joe Callicot Style Lessons?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
Hi Harriet,
I have transcribed and taught Joe Callicott's version of "Frankie and Albert" and his "Fare Thee Well Blues".  I'd be happy to transcribe any of his songs you'd want a lesson on.  If you go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section, my lesson policy is outlined.  Frank Stokes' style is somewhat similar to Joe's, but they have very different repertoires.
All best,
Johnm

Offline jrn

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 03:37:47 PM »
Hi!

Johnm-  Would the Callicot/Akers stuff be an option too?
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
Hi jrn,
That's a possibility, though the guitar parts are so tightly meshed that it would be very very difficult to separate them out from each other.
All best,
Johnm

Offline RandallBott

Re: Joe Callicott's Guitar Playing--Tips and Queries
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 05:41:07 PM »
I just found Joe Callicott and I'm in awe.  I love Good Time Blues but can't figure out if he's in an open tuning, half tuning, etc.  Any ideas?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 06:33:04 PM »
Callicot is great.  Standard tuning, G position, half step up, so capo at first fret to play it out of G.

Offline RandallBott

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 08:03:54 AM »
Thanks.  I'm going to get to work. 

Tags: Joe Callicott 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal