collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't mind no men friends but I'm scared they might cramp my style - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Saturday Night Spender Blues

Author Topic: Skip James story  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Skip James story
« on: July 21, 2005, 10:34:34 AM »
Found a nice vignette from the folk era I'd not seen before:
http://www.caffelenahistory.org/old-stories/andrew-siegal.htm

I like his comment about walking through the crossroads, totally oblivious.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 10:40:20 AM by Rivers »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Skip James story
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 10:59:31 AM »
Aged 23, I had a similar experience with Carl Martin. Running a folk club in Hamilton Ontario at the time, I was 'connected' enough to be allowed into the performers' hotel at the Mariposa folk festival in Toronto. One of the featured bands at the festival was Martin, Bogan and Armstrong. I'd seen them play onstage in the afternoon and made a bee line for the hotel room where they were hosting an informal session. Because the band's name was a string of surnames, and since the names Bogan and Armstrong wouldn't have meant anything to me then, I failed to make the connection that Martin was in fact the Carl Martin whose 'Crow Jane' I had on a compilation LP and had been trying for months to learn. Carl Martin only had a mandolin with him for the trip to Toronto, and didn't pick up a guitar during the hotel room session which consisted mostly of popular tunes of the twenties and thirties played string band style. All three band members were great guys who didn't seem to mind my feeble attempts to play along (I cringe when I think of now)! If only I'd made the connection (instead of walking through the crossroads) I might've been able to have learned Crow Jane directly from the source singer instead of from vynil. The other "own goal" I remember from my year as a student in Canada was my obliviousness to the fact that one of my all-time heroes, Lonnie Johnson, was living in Toronto and occasionally playing with a (pretty gruesome-looking) all-white trad jazz band with matching uniforms and crew-cuts. It would have been the experience of  a lifetime for me to have seen Lonnie play live, or maybe even to have met him. Ah well......!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 08:28:03 AM »
Great story Scratchy. Were you going to McMaster?

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 10:19:03 AM »
That's right - they had this deal going where they paid postgrad students from Commonwealth countries to go there, and you were supposed to teach for fifteen hours a week. Don't think I ever did more than five! Learned a lot of guitar that year!

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
Caffe Lena
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 01:23:43 PM »
Hey, check out my Rev. Davis story on the same page.  It isn't as good as the Skip James one, but it is mine!

Mike

Tags: Skip James 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal