collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We are told to our faces often that though our quartet is one of the best that has been heard up here, they would like us better if we would "play the Nigger" - their own words - more... every day we are made to understand that if there was less refinement about us and more fool, we would do better... When I have about three persons ask for the [spirituals] and about four score ask that we dance and sing songs which tell of Negroes stealing chickens, I make no pretensions to try to please - Tuskegee Quartet member Isaac Fisher, in a letter to Dr. Booker T. Washington, c. 1900

Author Topic: Blind Willie McTell  (Read 1513 times)

Offline TonyGilroy

Blind Willie McTell
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
Frog records have announced a forthcoming Piedmont set which will include the complete Ed Rhodes session.  Details on their web site. Incredible how much initially unissued McTell stuff has appeared over the years.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Blind Willie McTell
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
I was listening to McTell (what a brilliant mind he had) talking on the Lomax session. At 2.42 he mentions to have recorded "Cigarette Blues". Was it never issued or 78 not to be found?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
I don't think he ever recorded a number under that title, Harry, even an unissued one, but I'd be willing to make a guess that it could have been his title for "Mr. McTell's Got the Blues," which has the line "Cigarettes is my ruin, whiskey is my crave." Or of course it could be a title that he played and never recorded, of course, but given McTell's memory...
Chris

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
Should have done a google search before asking the question.

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000038859/W149301-Cigarette_blues

And from the Wirz site;

- Cigarette Blues (149301-1) #
- Real Jazz Mama (149318-1) *

# rec. October 30, 1929 in Atlanta, GA; Blind Willie McTell, voc, g
* rec. October 31, 1929 in Atlanta, GA; Blind Willie McTell, voc, g

Columbia unissued
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:39:30 PM by harry »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
Shoot, I looked on Stefan's site, and missed that! I was looking at the unissued stuff from 1936 with Piano Red and should have looked further back.
Chris

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 06:39:39 AM »
Frog have now issued their "Best Stuff Yet" set which includes the entire 1956 last session.

Great sound - Rhodes used state of the art equipment - and plenty of McTell chat and songs omitted from the album.

Essential purchase for me and I would have thought any McTell enthusiasts.

Offline jostber

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal