collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Define swing? I'd rather tackle Einstein's theory - Cootie Williams, trumpet, Ellington Orchestra

Author Topic: Blind Blake on vinyl  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
Blind Blake on vinyl
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:28 AM »
It could have been one of two both of which I bought in dear old Dobells. "Blind Blake Guitar and Vocal" (Jazz Collector JGL 9002, 1963) or "Blind Blake Blues In Chicago" (Riverside RM 8804, 1966). The former has 14 tracks, the latter 16 with a gatefold sleeve with lyric transcription (which I seem to have amended in pencil!). There was indeed  a "Georgia Tom & Friends" (RM 8803) in the series along with Ma Rainey, Roosevelt Sykes and a piano blues compilation.

And - as man's an eye animal - they might have looked something like this  >:D

Offline Bunker Hill

Blind Blake on vinyl
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:39:39 AM »
And - as man's an eye animal - they might have looked something like this  
Thanks Stefan. Here's a scan of a portion of the Blake 10" Jazz Collector. My A4 scanner is just too small to capture it all. Click image to zoom in. Note name of cover designer.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:16:17 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Bunker Hill

Blind Blake on vinyl
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:48:55 AM »
Given the divergence of this topic would one of the moderators consider splitting this so that the latter part has a subject of Blind Blake On Vinyl, or something similar.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Blind Blake on vinyl
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:00:02 AM »
lick image to zoom in.

Topic split as requested. Though as much as I like Blake, I will refrain from licking the image.

Offline RB

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:11 AM »
Yep, thanks, the two I referred to as bought by me in Dobell's (in the other discussion about Arnie Kaplin) are the two shown on the right (the Riversides, apparently), instantly recognizable now, though I had forgotten for years I think what the Blake looked like.  I believe I still have the Georgia Tom.  Both records--I'm not up to date as a record collector so won't know how to describe them--had soft, glossy printed covers--they were an extra flap over the regular cardboard sleve--and a fair amount of text.  Who was the Riverside entrepreneur?

I think it was 1966, and it would have been in July or so when I bought them.  I remember going to the Marquee club that night to hear Mayall's band.  A fellow in the record store had told me I'd like this, which I mostly did.

You don't happen to have a scan of the cover of the Robert Petway EP?

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:18:45 AM »

just looka here, an' you'll find ... (#8)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »
I scanned it front and back for Stefan some years ago and can be viewed here http://www.wirz.de/music/petwafrm.htm.

Back to Blake, the 1959 Jazz Collector EP shared with Ramblin' Thomas can be viewed http://www.wirz.de/music/thorafrm.htm. I'll send Stefan a scan of the reverse so that Frank Owen's notes can be read.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »
Sorry Stefan whilst composing the message above I took a phone call which lasted so long the system didn't generate the warning concerning a new posting. To make up for it here's the aforementioned scan.

Offline RB

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »
Thank you both, that's that beautiful record.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 02:57:30 AM »
just to end that permanent Bunker hollerin' I started working on a Blind Blake discography  ...
Far from being complete, but perhaps nevertheless worth a look ?!?  ;D

BTW: Can anyone provide a complete track list of Mike Stewart's 1990 Wayhi M 33 cassette ?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
Stefan's discography has grown out of all recognition since he posted the above message five days ago, but still no info on that Mike Stewart Wayhi cassette. Must be a rarity....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal