collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We wanted to play the blues, so we got some stuff we recorded that's almost a blues and it's almost a waltz - which I think would be nice for y'all to learn about... Don't ever say "I can't do something because I don't have this..." I learned to play fiddle on a cigar box - Canray Fontenot

Author Topic: JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others  (Read 32497 times)

Offline rjtwangs

Re: JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
I would like to hear opinions on the two JSP Blind Boy Fuller sets, please. Are both sets essential.

RJ

Offline jostber

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »
This looks like a goodie:

Any opinions?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
I would like to hear opinions on the two JSP Blind Boy Fuller sets, please. Are both sets essential.

Well, it depends. Fuller is essential to me because I love his music (I have the Documents however). There is a certain amount of repetition across his entire oeuvre, but not so you could separate between Vol 1 and 2 here. So I guess it depends how much you can take. ;) Vol 2 has later ensemble stuff involving Sonny Terry and Bull City Red, so that's of interest. Vol 2 of JSP also gives you the Bull City Red tracks under his own name, which I really enjoy. Plus Virgil Childers, and then regional Fuller sound-alikes like Floyd Council, and the Trice brothers.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that Document has been featuring many of their Fuller discs (on which the JSP sets are based) in their Specials section (not currently active, waiting for the next newsletter). They were going for $4-6 or so, I think.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:58:57 AM by andrew »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »
I'll agree with Andrew on the Fuller sets.  I don't have either of these, but only because I have all the music on various Document Cds.  Fuller's material on volume 1 is, I think, slightly stronger than on volume 2, but volume 2 has the advantage of having a variety of other artists on the last 2 disks.  But hey, it's Fuller, so why not get 'em both? 

I do have the Big Bill Broonzy Volume 3.  In fact, I have all of his JSP sets.  Volume 3 is essentially all of his postwar recordings that were aimed at an African-American audience.  It's an enjoyable set, with some stuff that sounds like his small group recordings from before the war (ok, some of them ARE from before the war), some stuff that's nudging towards early R&B, and some solo material.  The sound is in general pretty good because the source recordings have survived in better shape than some of his prewar records.  The set doesn't give you a complete picture of Broonzy's music, but it's enjoyable listening and highly recommended.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. I just got the Blind Blake 5cd box, Vol.1 of Blind Boy Fuller, and these three collections, 'Shake em' on Down', 'A Richer Tradition', and 'Mississippi Blues'. From the Boulevard Vintage label came, 'Down Home Chicago Blues Classics, 1946-1956'. Now all I need is a few weeks to listen to them all!!

RJ

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »
BBF Vol 2 is really good, fun and interesting, like this website!

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
Thanks Rivers, I'll be ordering that as well. I ordered from Bluebeat Music on Saturday and received all of these box sets(6) on Monday, I was amazed, so I ordered more today. I would highly recommend Charlie and Bluebeat to everyone here!!

RJ

Offline CF

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
Got 'Big Joe Williams & the Stars of the Mississippi Blues' & the Jimmie Rodgers JSP boxes today.
Big Joe box is really good. It's got completish Joe up to 1951, complete Tommy McClennan, Robert Petway & Willie 'Poor Boy' Lofton. Honeyboy Edwards' 1942 LOC recordings seem complete altho' I thought I read somewhere there were interview/talking excerpts that didn't make it here?
The audio is superior to many JSP boxes partly due to the hi fidelity of the source recordings. It's impressive how good McClennan's recordings ('39-'42) sound, like he's in the room with you.
These are all really great recordings but there is definately a samness in their styles that can wear on you if you try to listen to all 6 hours of the box like I did today!
The notes are good & by Neil Slaven. He quotes Honeyboy at length who has offered some of the only information we have on McClennan & Petway . . . who sound crazily similar to me on my first listen.
I only noticed a couple of not too troublesome goofs in the personnel & dates.
One of the better JSP sets I have.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:34:29 AM by cheapfeet »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Minnesota Dave

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2008, 06:42:51 AM »
JSP has two Paramount boxes. I just ordered Paramount Masters. What are the differences between this one and the other one?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »
JSP has two Paramount boxes. I just ordered Paramount Masters. What are the differences between this one and the other one?

Assuming you are referring to "Paramount Old Time Recordings," it contains mostly "country," "hillbilly," or "old timey" material from the White side of the catalog.

Offline Minnesota Dave

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »

Assuming you are referring to "Paramount Old Time Recordings," it contains mostly "country," "hillbilly," or "old timey" material from the White side of the catalog.

Yep. That's what I'm referring to. I guess I could have referred to it better. Thanks for the scoop. I'm glad I went for the Masters box first.

Dave

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »

Yep. That's what I'm referring to. I guess I could have referred to it better. Thanks for the scoop. I'm glad I went for the Masters box first.

Dave

And speaking as someone who loves old-time music and owns the set, I wouldn't be in a huge rush to pick up that Paramount Old-Time Recordings Set.
Chris

Offline Minnesota Dave

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »
Why's that, Chris?

Okay, I have a question for you guys. I asked this on another forum and came up with nothing. In the Richer Tradition set from JSP, On disc A, there are incorrect track listings. I have it all figured out except for track 16. What is the song and artist on disc A, track 16?

Thanks.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
Hey Dave,

Go to the top of the page and check the menu on the left. Find and select the item Album Info (under Resources). Then select A Richer Tradition disc A, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the corrections.

All for now.
John C. (born in Minneapolis-G-)
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
Hey Dave,

Go to the top of the page and check the menu on the left. Find and select the item Album Info (under Resources). Then select A Richer Tradition disc A, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the corrections.

All for now.
John C. (born in Minneapolis-G-)

And as it stands now, you have to be logged in to actually see that menu item. Just in case anyone is not seeing it...

So it looks like your track is Blue Coat Blues, by Blue Coat Tom Nelson, if I'm reading it right. I don't have the record myself so can't say one way or the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal