collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
At the peak of the great Mississippi River flood of 1993, the river in Iowa carried 435,000 cubic feet of water a second; at St Louis, after the Missouri River added it's waters, it carried 1 million cubic feet a second... In 1927... the Mississippi would be carrying in excess of three million cubic feet of water each second - J.M. Barry, Rising Tide The Great Mississippi Flood Of 1927

Author Topic: Sweetheart Blues  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Sweetheart Blues
« on: January 10, 2005, 01:40:47 PM »
I'd be interested to know what you chaps make of this....

Apologies for singing! :o

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Sweetheart Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 04:08:30 PM »
Nice song, Norfolk Slim - one thing that appeals to me in it is that you're working with a form other than a 12-bar.  Don't apologize for singing - it's an essential part of the music.  The more you do it, the better it gets.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 06:04:34 PM »
Sounds like a good blues to me - an original piece I assume?  Your voice is fine - but like many of us - you just need to sing more.

Cheers and thanks for posting.
slack

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:32:40 AM »
I'm with Frankie on the form of the tune.  Really ear catching.  If I counted right it's 13 bars per verse?  All the singing up in the beginning though, with sort of an extending turnaround toward the end of each verse?  Any chance of writing out the chord progression you've got going there?

I also like the stompin' bass work.

As for the singing, I'm with the others - Sing Out!

Great stuff - thanks for posting it!

tom

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 06:03:07 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

Frankly- I hadn't thought very much about the structure.  It was a progression that just sort of happened whilst noodling bits of other tunes.  One day I realised that I wasn't just noodling but had a steady progression- so I decided to try to put some words to it!

I'm pretty hopeless at chords and theory but its something like this...

A7 / A7 / A7 / A7-Ab7-Ddim / A7
E7 / D7 / A7 / A7 / E7 / D7 / A7 turnaround / E7

The precise structure probably wanders a bit as I play :-)

Even my wife hasn't heard this...  You guys aren't 'real' people so its okay!

MotorShip

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 05:41:25 AM »
Hey....

What?s wrong with this?!
I can only agree with the others coments erlier. Good work and playing, myself I sing like the? >:D

Keep on...... 8) I hope that I can pick up that fingerwork you got.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 01:21:05 AM by waxwing »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »
Nice job, Simon.  I like the originality and the fact that the form and phrase-lengths are specific to the song, while the feel is still very much in the Blues vein.
All best,
Johnm

Jimbo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 09:03:47 AM »
Sounds good to me N/Slim - as a fingerstyle player I'm anxious to learn blues in similar style to your playing, which sounds great.  How long you been playing? Any tips?
Good luck with the writing....

(PS If we waited for enthusiastic support from spouses, we'd let far too much grass grow under our feet)

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 10:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the further comments everyone.

Jimbo- I'm not sure if this is the right bit of the forum for a lengthy discussion, but I first had classical guitar lessons 20 years ago!  Blues playing has only been for the last 5 years or so though. Hard to think of any specific tips- but the song is definitely inspired by the songs of Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins, Chris Smither and Ben Andrews- so you could do a lot worse than listen to those guys, or find books or lessons on Johnson, Hopkins etc.  Other people on this forum with far wider knowledge than me can doubtless point you to many other starting points as well!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal