collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Air brakes... - Bukka White, Special Streamline

Author Topic: "This Old Hammer"  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"This Old Hammer"
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:34:48 PM »
Hi all,
I just took delivery today on my new CD, "This Old Hammer".  It is the first solo recording of blues I've done since the mid-1970s, and as Sam Goldwyn said, "A lot of water has been passed since then."  It features all original accompaniments (no recreations of historic recordings).  Here's the program:
   *This Old Hammer
   *New Cairo Blues
   *My Easy Rider
   *Smooth Blues for E. H.
   *Rolling Log Blues
   *Wild About My Lovin'
   *Walking Boss
   *Keep It Clean
   *Cool, Baby, Cool
   *I'm Getting Wild About Her
   *Milky White Way
   *When We All Get Home/Ginny's Frolic
The CD will be placed at CDBaby, and I will provide a link here when they've got it set up, but if anyone wishes to order a CD in the meantime, you can do so by sending a check for $17.00 to John M. Miller at:  John M. Miller
                             3115 Firwood Avenue
                             Bellingham, WA 98225
Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: "This Old Hammer"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:18:30 AM »
Congrats Johnm!  After hearing you play selections form the CD for the past 2 or 3 years (or more) I'm really looking forward to listening to the CD!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
Seconded.

I thought that the arrangement of Take This Hammer which you did at Northampton was fantastic.  Looking forward to hearing it again on the CD.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:10 AM »
Congratulations John! Looking forward to ordering and hearing the CD.

As long as we're mentioning fantastic arrangements, That New Cairo Blues is just beautiful, too, as I recall.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »
Great John! Looking forward to hearing it!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
That's great news, John.  Congratulations.  The check is in the mail.  Ok, I know about the time I told that to the IRS, but this time I really mean it.   :D

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys.  It occurred to me after my inital post on this thread that persons wishing to use a credit card to buy "This Old Hammer" could do so at my Paypal account, the same place where my Weenie lessons can be purchased.  To purchase the CD via Paypal, go to www.paypal.com, and make a deposit of $17.00 to my account (or $19.00 for
overseas sales), which is listed under my email address:          johnmalcolmmiller@mac.com.
Please be sure to include a message as to what you are purchasing and your mailing address. 
I will post information for CD Baby purchases when they have it up there.  Thanks!
All best,
Johnm 

Offline bmore

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:14:59 AM »
I just recieved my copy of "This old Hammer" from John in the mail Wednesday. Only a couple of days after buying it (using pay pal as John suggested), hows that for service!
Though I have only had time to listen to it a couple of times so far. I find it is all I was hoping for & expecting. Some new looks at some old favs and interesting new material. John once again you have given me more material to strive for (as if I could ever play at that level, I can only keep trying).
I love how you keep the material fresh!

Thanks again,

Brian
bmore

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:17:56 AM »
Thanks very much for the good words, Brian, and I'm glad the US Postal Service got the CD to you that quickly.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
I've been a fan of John's since I picked up "First Degree Blues" when it first came out in the '70s, so this is a must have for me. Well done, John.

And for those of you who came to know and appreciate John and his music at some other time and/or through some other medium, IMHO it is a must have as well.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Thanks very much for your kind words, Stuart.  It really means something to me that someone who liked my first record likes this one, too.
I've just received an email from CDBaby that "This Old Hammer" is up there.  For any of you who would like to see the CD, listen to some samples or purchase it, go to:  http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnmiller6
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
Been listening to my copy for the last two days as well -- great job John, nice variety between pieces, I'm partial to "New Cairo Blues" - my favorite - you have a distinctive style that gives an interesting twist to some of these old songs. And I'm really glad I finally got to hear Todd Cambio's 9 string in your hands - wow, I now see why you just had to have that guitar.

Congratulations on a fine CD. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »
Thanks very much, John D.  I couldn't agree more about the quality of the 9-string guitar Todd made.  It records beautifully and I feel like it pretty much gave me the two tunes ("This Old Hammer" and "Smooth Blues for E. H.") on which I play it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 04:16:50 AM »
I know I'm late here, but, after listening to the CD for a couple of days now, I wanted to chime in, and say that this is an absolutely great record! Innovative new arrangements, stellar playing and singing, and most of all, a very good feeling through the whole album.

Congratulations!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
Been meaning to add my two penneth too- but have been horribly busy.

The CD arrived very quickly and has been in my car CD player almost permanently since.  Which probably says it all. :)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »
Thanks very much for the good words, Pan and Slim, and I'm also glad to hear that the delivery time to Finland and Norfolk was speedy.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 05:28:30 AM »
I've been listening to John's new CD since it arrived more than a week ago -- and it's just great! Of course I didn't expect anything less. The new interpretations of old favorites is refreshing yet maintains the character and soul of the original -- no small task. If you don't have it yet, buy it now!

Thanks, John.

Mike

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
And thank you for the good words, Mike.  I'm really glad you are enjoying the CD.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »
Hi all,
I am eliminating my johnmalcolmmiller@mac.com address, and so would appreciate it if anyone buying CDs or lessons from me at www.paypal.com would use my new address, john@johnmillerguitar.com.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal