collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ever since the world ended, I don't go out as much - Mose Allison, Ever Since the World Ended

Author Topic: Archie Edwards  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Roscoe

Archie Edwards
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:17:43 AM »
Hi. On a cd called living country blues there is a song called the road is rough and rocky by archie edwards. one line sez "john hurt was a friend of mine and now he's dead and gone. he plays a little like hurt and i wondered if anyone on weenie knows anything about him.
thanks
Roscoe

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Archie Edwards
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:22:17 AM »
Hi Roscoe,
Others will know more than I, but Archie Edwards was a long-time fixture on the Washington D. C. Country Blues scene, where his barber shop was an informal meeting place for many years to visit, discuss and play the music.  I don't know if Archie was originally from D. C., but I would guess not.  Anybody know more about Archie?
On another topic, any plans to post anything on the Back Porch, Roscoe?  I always liked your singing.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:36:53 AM »
I don't know about what's available on the internet but in an old fashioned published book Barry Lee Pearson devoted two chapters to him in his Virginia Piedmont Blues (Pennsylvania UP, 1990) and wrote a lengthy feature entitled  "Archie Edwards: Barbershop Blues" for Living Blues (issue 63, Jan/Feb 1985).

Recording wise, the redoutable Stefan Wirz has compiled a discography at http://www.wirz.de/music/edwafrm.htm
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:39:14 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:15:46 AM »
You can read a substantial biography of Archie Edwards online at the Archie Edwards Foundation website. The bio is here: http://acousticblues.com/archie_edwards.html.

The foundation has some great people associated with it. The website has the news that Archie's barbershop has been sold, and the famous Saturday jams are moving to another location.

The bio at the website strangely doesn't mention Archie's CD The Toronto Sessions, which I think is very good. It is, of course, listed on Stefan's website. Blues and Bones is good too.

Thanks for bringing the song to my attention, Roscoe. I've discovered another CD to buy.  :P

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 09:17:52 AM by andrew »

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »
hi again. i figured somebody on weenie would know. thanks for the info. and thanks john for the compliment on my singing. i might try to get something up on the back porch again soon.
roscoe

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal