Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Memphis Minnie/Ringling Bros Circus

(1/1)

poymando:
Hi Folks!
Anyone out there in cyberspace have any details about Memphis Minnie's time with the Ringling Bros circus? When, where etc..Any other blues artists play with Ringling Bros? Thanks in advance for any info.

Bunker Hill:
In the book Woman With Guitar (Garon, 1992) it states on page 15 that "..toured the south in the war years with a Ringling Brothers Show she joined in Clarksdale Mississippi."

dj:

--- Quote ---..toured the south in the war years
--- End quote ---

Would this be the first World War or the second?

Bunker Hill:

--- Quote from: dj on May 03, 2006, 03:24:45 AM ---Would this be the first World War or the second?
--- End quote ---
First.
I've since looked up Garon's reference which was Mike Leadbitter's 1970 meeting in Memphis with sister Daisy (Blues Unlimited 78, Dec 1970, p 8-9). She told Leadbitter that "...around 1916 she [Minnie] joined the Ringling Brothers Circus at Clarksdale and toured with the company for some years".

poymando:
I sent a query today to the Circus World Museum/UW Wisconsin to see if there is any way to find out more about blues or sting band performers who might have played with the Ringling Bros. I'll certainly post if I recieve a reply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version