collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Before I'd stand to see my baby go down I'd take off all my clothes and walk the streets in my mornin' gown - Ramblin' Willard Thomas, Hard Dallas Blues

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 252479 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006, 02:03:10 PM »
Since this thread was started Youtube took more rigorous action against copyrighted videos posted and many music related videos were removed.  Also, Google has now bought Youtube and done some deals with publishers and have put some of the videos back on Youtube.  In any case, I'm going to go through the topic and clean out the old broken links (and comments) and remove some unrelated videos.

Edit: Also, in case you had not noticed -- there is a Youtube BBC button that you can now use to post emedded Youtube and Goggle videos.  There are some other media BBC buttons - but they are disabled.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:05:47 PM by Slack »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
What a great clip - maybe some tech guru will match up the video with the sound one day. 

Isn't it a cool one? Thanks to bighollowtwang for pointing it out over on the IGS board.

I don't think the guitar is a resonator though, but a sunburst double hole acoustic - still weird ass though - this could be in the Todd Cambio line soon!  :P

It looks almost like the resonator well was covered over with unmatched wood...

boots

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 09:27:20 AM »
Sad to say my jerky DSL performs like shit and is no quicker than dial up   >:(
Any improvements on your horizon?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »
Hi Pan -

The direct link isn't too tricky to master.

When you are creating a post, there are a few new buttons above the smilies. Sixth from the left is a YouTube button.

Click it and it will add the following code to your post (except with square brackets where the parantheses are currently): (yt=425,350) (/yt)

Then all you have to do is add in the part of the YouTube URL identifying the particular clip. Each YouTube URL as I understand it begins with "http://youtube.com/watch?v=" then ends with a code that identifies a video clip. In the case of your Elizabeth Cotten clip that would be Ps76dvRR0zw.

The URL for YouTube videos are on the YouTube pages just to the right of the video screen. Just copy the string after the = sign, then paste it into your post right before the (/yt) code. So like this:

(yt=425,350)Ps76dvRR0zw(/yt)

Looks like algebra right now but should result in a direct link with the actual square brackets in place.

Note that the link you posted is the result from a search so has more code. I don't know whether that would work as a direct link, but copying the right code from the URL section on the YouTube page will.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:00:21 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »
Wow.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »
Thanks Uncle Bud. Rereading I suspect that's what Slack's "Greek" about "BBC buttons" were all about ? Thank you for the translation.

Greek!? C'mon Pan!  :P

Looks like the Bill Broonzy has been configured "by owner" not to play in embedded players, only on Youtube -- so, you'll need to put the link back on that one so folks can view on Youtube.

Great stuff, thanks for posting!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »
Hi Slack

Thanks for the tip, I put the URL (or whatever Greek that is ;)) back to the Broonzy post.

Actually I'm not to be thanked for all these wonderfull videos. "Weelie", a fellow finnish weenie member (a few posts here, I believe) just posted this YouTube link about a blues archive with 483 (!) blues and gospel related videos on YouTube, on a finnish musicians site:

http://www.youtube.com/groups_videos?name=therealblues

Oviously most are post-war, but there's still more stuff than I could ever post here.
I'll surely be missing cb artists I don't know of, and also some of you might be interested in the stuff that don't fit under the cb label, so I strongly suggest to take a good look your selves.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »
Fred McDowell; Going Down to the River:

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »
J. B. Lenoir:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:42:39 PM by Johnm »

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2006, 10:19:39 AM »
I've always liked that Frank Edwards song; thanks for sending the video. Interesting though...he plays it in A on the recording I have (National Downhome Blues Festival) and in E on this video.

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »
Yes, you should look for that CD -- he plays it better on there. Maybe he was younger then or maybe he couldn't find his capo for the video. I still can't understand anything he's singing though -- any ideas, anyone? I decipher a lot of old recordings, but man, this modern one is tough!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2006, 06:23:55 PM »
Whoops Pan beat me to the Fred vid
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 06:26:40 PM by Rivers »

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 09:50:43 PM »
I've always liked that Frank Edwards song; thanks for sending the video. Interesting though...he plays it in A on the recording I have (National Downhome Blues Festival) and in E on this video.

In person he seemed to always play in in E like that video and that is sorta the way everyone learned it from him in a circle of folks in Atlanta. I learned it that way from him in the early 90s except I do it without the barred B to A turnaround he does. Man, you never miss folks real bad till they're gone but I wish I'd learned a lot more from him when I was hanging around. There's a really nice guitar player Jim R. in town that I believe filmed that originally. I've never been able to get a copy so that was a real treat. Mr Frank was a really good man. I've been performing Chicken Raid for about a dozen years but I'd love to get all the words to "Got to get together" because I never ever was able to completely understand Mr Frank when he sang it. But I did figure out Chicken Raid and I've had people say they drove all the way to where I was playing to hear that song. I only have two CDs by him. One is the older 70s one "Done some Travelin" and the new one "Chicken Raid". Also if anyone finds any other recordings I would love to know. His old 78rpm sounding stuff which was probably recorded in the early 1940s was fantastic and revealed a tight, super powerful player in my opinion. In those last years what I heard was whittled down to the very essence of his music. Still very masterful but very different than the few really old clips they put on the end of that Chicken Raid cd. Anyway thanks to the folks that posted those.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:55:46 PM by LittleBrother »

JasonE

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 09:04:56 AM »
John Hurt's gravesite.

People are leaving nickels.

I am wondering where this comes from?

Did John Hurt sing a lyric "leave me nickels by my grave" or something?

Anyway, a touching video.

JasonE

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »
Monday Morning Blues has "Mister change a dollar give me a lucky dime", can't think of any nickel refs though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal