Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Fiddle Blues

<< < (2/10) > >>

banjochris:
I totally agree that "Rolling Mill Blues" and "All Night Long" are way up there -- I'll add a few of my own favorites:

"Warm Wipe Stomp" -- Macon Ed and Tampa Joe. This is one of the most bizarre recordings ever, with slide guitar and a surreal conversation going on with the music.

"Right Now Blues" -- Frank Stokes and Will Batts.

"Memphis Stomp" -- Lonnie Johnson with Nap Hayes and Matthew Prater. A real virtuoso performance from Johnson.

"Please Baby" -- Mississippi Sheiks.

"Been Listening All the Day" -- Blind Joe Taggart. More old-time than blues, but a personal favorite.

All the Baxter stuff, of course, and the Frazier/Patterson and Gribble, Lusk and York tracks on the Altamont album. And I also recommend Fiddlin' John Carson's "Hawk and the Buzzard" -- a great version of "Raise a Ruckus Tonight."
Chris

GhostRider:
HI:

Whilest listening to the Victor Recordings of Frank Stokes (which includes four guitar-fiddle duets), I found a fiddle tune I quite liked, Bunker Hill Blues. The recording is a bit whupped and Franks guitar accompanyment is pretty basic, but the fiddle is great.

Who is the fiddler on these four tunes?

Alex

Bunker Hill:

--- Quote from: GhostRider on January 22, 2007, 10:56:42 AM ---Who is the fiddler on these four tunes?
--- End quote ---
Will Batts who can also be heard on, I think, all of Jack Kelly's recordings. He's discussed in Bengt Olsson's 1970 Memphis Blues booklet. I'll see if there's anything said worth reporting back.

Edit: In fact it's an entire very interesting chapter devoted to an interview with his sister Maggie Tuggle. At the end there's a list of Batts's entries for the period 1921-1955 from the Memphis City Directory.

mississippijohnhurt1928:
"Come Back Corrina" Recorded By Charlie Patton In 1929 Features Henry "Son" Simms On Fiddle And Vocals.

Henry Eventually Played With Muddy Waters On His Field Recordings For Alan Lomax.

Johnm:
Hi all,
I recently heard a Blues fiddler I had never heard before:  E.L. Coleman, who recorded one tune with Sylvester Weaver on slide guitar and Charles Washington on banjo-guitar.  The tune is called "Steel String Blues" and it appears on the Sylvester Weaver, Volume 1 recording on Document.  The ensemble sound is a real one-of-a-kind affair.  Weaver sounds to be playing lap-style slide in Vestapol, and pretty darned Hawaiian sounding.  He goes to a flat VI chord in the sixth bar of the form, and it sounds fine even though neither of the other two players plays to it.  Washington is playing out of E in standard tuning and has a lot of nice touches to what he is doing.  Coleman was a smooth player with good intonation, and changes what he plays a lot during the course of the rendition.  It's nice not to hear the same pass over and over again, though if the playing is good enough, that approach can be pretty great, too.
I was wondering--does Dixon & Godrich have a performer's index?  It would be interesting to know if E.L. Coleman ever showed up on any other recordings.
All best,
Johnm   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version