Country Blues > Books and Articles

Memphis Minnie Book

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stuart:
Yep, disappointing for sure. I don't know how many times I have read a book, article, etc., and then thought to myself, "Where were the author's friends, teachers or the guiding editorial hand?"

Suzy T:
I sure wish that Del Rey would write a Memphis Minnie biography.  The Garons' one left so many questions not only unanswered but also unexamined. And I hated the deconstruction of the songs. I know they were well-intentioned and it's great that someone wrote a book about her, but the world could use another biography of MM.

Parlor Picker:

--- Quote from: Suzy T on April 25, 2022, 12:13:14 AM ---I sure wish that Del Rey would write a Memphis Minnie biography.  ... but the world could use another biography of MM.

--- End quote ---

I'll second that!

Stuart:
I agree, Suzy. At this point she would be relying almost solely on secondary sources, but gathering up the materials and info, sorting through it and writing a solid book should definitely be doable. The obvious problem of course is that "Woman With Guitar" exists and being careful about anything that might be viewed as plagiarism is something she'd have to stay on top of. But much, if not most, of the info is readily available and there are standard ways to cite previous publications.

lindy:
Thinking out loud here . . .

Rather than trying to write in the standard format of biographies, and as a way to avoid dealing with even hints of plagiarism, a contemporary book on the life and music of MM might follow the format that JohnM used for his Lemon Jefferson book -- a combination of transcriptions, biographical info, some analysis of the music, and an essay or two by someone(s) other than the author.

Of course, I'm picturing Del as making a major contribution, if not actually taking on the author's role.

Lindy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version