collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's the guitar I play all the time. My children wanted to get it for me as a birthday present so they borrowed money from me to buy it - Jerry Ricks, on his Martin D76 guitar (a US Bicentennial model)

Author Topic: Euroweenie 2010  (Read 22760 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Euroweenie 2010
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
I'd like to wish all you Euro Weenies a good weekend.  Don't forget to post the video of Bunker Hill's talk, or at least a transcription.   ;)  (Seriously, I'm sorry I'll miss that.)  And if anyone would pinch Richard's squareneck tricone and send it along to me, it would be much appreciated!     

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2010, 02:22:38 AM »
Thanks dj, we'll play one for you on his tricone.

I'll try to get BH's talk on video plus some other snippets of the goings on.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2010, 03:49:30 AM »
I'll try to get BH's talk on video plus some other snippets of the goings on.
Don't you dare.  :o

I don't recall that being on my agenda. Apart from anything else you'll inflict untold damage to your recorder. ;)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »
Yes, you all have a great weekend -- there are a bunch of us I'm sure who wish we were able to be there!  One of these years....

Take lots of photos and recordings!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »
Have a great time, and we'll look forward to hearing about it.  It certainly sounds like a lot of fun.
All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2010, 07:25:59 AM »
A good time had by all. Reports to follow from messrs Bunker Hill & Parlor Picker.

Thanks to Richard for putting it together again.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
A good time had by all. Reports to follow from messrs Bunker Hill & Parlor Picker.

Thanks to Richard for putting it together again.
I'll second that.

To maintain the sequence of events as I wasn't present on Friday night perhaps it would be a sensible idea if PP posted his report of that first.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2010, 03:58:38 AM »
Well, the fourth Euroweenie Weekend has come and gone in a flash and, I?m sure it?s fair to say, a good time was had by all involved. It was great to meet up with old friends and to make a few new ones as well. The hotel was very welcoming and helpful this year.

I arrived early on Friday afternoon, immediately spotting Blueshome unloading his car. I was then conscious of somebody at an upstairs window making rude signs at me. It could only be one person ? Richard. I had intended to go for a walk around the local nature reserve to do some bird watching (hi Wax!), but the rain was lashing down, so I had to miss out on that one. I did manage a walk on Saturday and Sunday mornings, though.

We all gathered in the bar in the early evening before going in for dinner. Not without some encouragement from me, Richard managed to engage in some friendly banter with the hotel staff (fried eggs and gravy ? don?t ask!).

After dinner, we adjourned to the function room (kindly provided free-of-charge by the hotel) and Norfolk Slim was pushed on stage first to show off his newly acquired Fraulini 6-string, which he did in great style. There then followed a series of performances from the likes of Marshcat and his playing partner in Delta Echoes, Richard Scruton (who does not seem to have a Weenie soubriquet), Diamond Dak, Prof. Scratchy, Blueshome, Bob Long, Harvey and Slo-Blo.

Scratchy had two obscure guitars with him, namely a Vivitone 6-string, which had F-holes in the back (!) and a stupendous 12-string of no known type, which had therefore been named ?Boris?. Diamond Dak played a Dave King acoustic and a newish NRP single-cone instrument, which sounded remarkably like an old National.  I thought Bob Long?s ?Katrina? Dave King model had an excellent sound as well.  I accompanied Blueshome on one number on my Larriv?e Parlor and played my recently acquired Pono tenor ukulele with someone else ? who was that unfortunate person? I can?t remember. My trademark Kalamazoo was put to great use the following night by the good Professor.

During the evening, lots were drawn for playing partners in the performance on Saturday evening, more of which from special guest, Bunker Hill, when he does his resum?. Bunker arrived on Saturday morning, and it was great to meet him in person at last, as we?d been aware of one another on the blues scene since back in the 1970s. Saturday also saw the arrival of the ridiculously talented Lewy C ? Marshcat?s partner in National Steel.

OK Bunker, it?s over to you?
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »
Off to Madrid to do touristy things and get wet, so just time to say what a fine weekend it was, spent with some extremely fine folks. Lots of highlights - like getting to meet Bunker Hill in the flesh at last! Also the bottomless glass of red wine purveyed by Bob Long on Saturday night! Getting to play Lewis's Style O (even if I did fall off the end of it courtesy of the aforementioned glass of wine)! And a special mention, I think, for Mr Slim from Norfolk, whose confidence and know-how has grown and grown from one Euroweenie to the next. Thanks to Bobalong both for the red wine and for his ability to make a party go with a swing by suggesting ensemble numbers. Thanks to Parlor Picker for letting me play his trusty Kalamazoo. And above along thanks to Richard and Blueshome for making it all happen again, and to everyone else for their fine music and fine company!

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
How does a Vivitone sound?   I remember seeing mention of them in an article about Lloyd Loar many years back, but I never heard one and I'm a bit curious about how the unusual design altered the tone of the instrument.

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »
I'll leave how it sounds to others better qualified than me, but this is how it looks. The fretboard is really something!

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »
The fretboard is really something!
Wow! That is really fantastic.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Not that qualified but you couldn't call it a sweet toned thing. Loud though and probably fine for swing guitar.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2010, 02:26:25 AM »
Punch, boxy, twangy...  And wonderfully unsophisticated.

(The Vivitone that is- not Richard).

PP- Who is Diamond Dak?  Am I going mad or have I missed something?!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2010, 02:40:46 AM »
PP- Who is Diamond Dak?  Am I going mad or have I missed something?!

Diamond Dak is fellow-Yorkshireman, Derek, who was introduced to the Weenie by Blueshome. Wait till I get the photos uploaded and you'll see him.

[Edit: Yes, you probably are going mad and yes, you did miss something! Pay attention next time! ;D]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:43:06 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal