collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
For decades, practically every big circus on the road had a black band and minstrel company attached to its sideshow, performing on the streets and inside the sideshow tent before people of all races, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from the southern reaches of Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. During the 1910s, these companies constituted a significant pathway for the dissemination of ragtime, blues, and jazz." - Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff, Ragged But Right: Black Traveling Shows, "Coon Songs", And The Dark Pathway To Blues And Jazz

Author Topic: CD Concession wish list for PT, 2004  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
CD Concession wish list for PT, 2004
« on: July 06, 2004, 10:45:13 PM »
Hi all,
I was just wondering if any of you who will be attending Port Townsend's summer session in 2004 had any CDs that you would like to see stocked at the record concession.? I will be out there this week-end and could communicate your wants and needs to Steve at Quimper Sound.? I would be interested in more Walter Davis CDs on Document (purchased vols. 1 and 7 last summer), as well as early Robert Pete Williams on Arhoolie, Smokey Babe on Arhoolie, Hacksaw Harney on Adelphi, and Carl Martin on Testament.? Any others you want out there?? We should probably let them know pretty soon so they have time to order CDs.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:06:23 PM by waxwing »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: CD Concession wish list for PT, 2004
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »
Hi John:

One I really wouldn't mind getting is the collected works of Funny Papa Smith (Document?).

alex

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 03:01:31 PM »
We've given Steve lots of good suggestions over the three(?) years since Quimper took over the CD 'franchise.' He may still have that info. Seems to me there are several categories, each with different criteria.
1. Compilations that would give people who are new to Country (and City) Blues an opportunity to sample a range of the more prominent artists. These would be CDs or CD sets that incude a few songs each from multiple artists - e.g. the Sony Legacy series, some Yazoos, etc. For instance, a couple that come to mind might be Yazoo compilations like: 'Back At The Crossroads: The Roots of Robert Johnson', and The Best There Ever Was - The Legendary Early Blues Performers, Classic Recordings From The 20s and 30s'.
2. Compilations for specific artists that give a good overview, but are by no means complete. These would be the recent Document "Essentials' compilation series - typcially 2 CDs per artist. I know these and the Yazoo stuff sold very well last year. I would probaly be tempted to fill out my collection from some of the more recent Yazoo complation releases (e.g. "Times Ain't Like They Used To Be' - now at Vol 7).There are other good collections available at reasonable prices from Catfish, Indigo, and JSP.
3. Specific interests that may tie into something that one of the instructors is planning to teach - for example - John, your session on Robert Belfour last year probably generated interest in his music. Similarly, John Cephas usually does one or two session on Skip James. Honeyboy - well, he'll sell himself! Rich Del Grosso will likely stimulate interest in Yank Rachel, and potentially some other blues mandolin players. And if anyone is thinking about doing either duet (2 guitar or guitar/mandolin) or adaptation from piano to guitar (as Del has done in past years), there might be some recordings that would be good references for these activities.
4. Specific interests that come forward from contributors to this forum, as may be posted here - for instance, I would probably buy some J.T. Smith, any gospel CDs I don't already have (speaking of which - they should get some 'Goodbye, Babylon' CD sets in), any of the Country releases, etc. And then, there is the spill-over into Old Time and Early County material like "man of Constant Sorrow' on Yazoo - a collection of mountain ballads. Even Doc Watson recordings like 'Trouble in Mind: Doc Watson Country Blues Collection' and 'Sittin' Here Pickin' the Blues' would probably be of interest and sell. Incidentally, if you haven't heard it yet, Doc's 2003 album 'The Three Pickers' with Ricky Skaggs and Earl Scruggs is outstanding.
5. Contemporary acoustic blues recordings - 2004 faculty, and perhaps faculty (Steve James, Paul Rishell, Alvin Hart, etc.) from other years who are actively recording, and some of the stuff Tim Duffy has been working on is also pretty interesting.

It is a pretty sure bet that I will find some serindipitious 'obscura' that will call out to me and my credit card, regardless of what they stock!

After you hook up this weekend, let me know Steve could use more info. I can try to locate archived email responses to this request from previous years and send the whole package of suggestions directly to him, either by email or fax.

Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 07:00:58 PM »
I'd buy Mississippi String Bands and Associates on Document, the later Mississippi Sheiks on Document, and would highly recommend the new Document compilation Vintage Mandolin Music for any budding or expert mando players. Clifford Gibson on Document and the remastered Ed Bell would be nice too.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 12:20:47 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the wish list tips, Alex, Bill and Andrew.? Any others?? I am not so much looking for basic Country Blues library stuff, which I believe Steve will have well covered, as much as I am personal CD wishes which are unlikely to be otherwise stocked.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:07:19 PM by waxwing »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »
Weeellll, not exactly Country Blues - but I would buy any or all (except #4) of the Library of Congress Jelly Roll Morton.

:D

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 02:27:03 AM »
Hey JohnM,
Hope you check this Sat. morn before you head to Quimper. I wanted to track down the numbers for you. I'd definitely like to pick up a copy of Document's Ragtime Blues Guitar 1927-1935 (DOCD 5062). Neil Harpe turned me on to most of these guys, Walker, Rose, Moore, Tarter and Gay, last time I was back east. I told you I'm still a pup.
I'm also lookin' to get a couple of Leadbelly CDs. Kinda confusing 'cause Document has two seperate series of volumes, vol. 1-5, mostly, but not exclusively, LoC, and vol. 1-7, mostly, but not exclusively, not LoC. Anyway, I'd like to get Leadbelly vol. 1 1939-1940 (DOCD 5226) and I'd also like to get the Columbia CD Leadbelly/King of the 12-String Guitar (CK46776).
Two other Documents I've had on order for some time now over at Down Home Music are Catfish Blues, Mississippi Blues vol. 3 1936-1942 (DOCD 5672) and Harps, Jug, Washboards & Kazoos 1926-1940 (JPCD-1505-2). The latter seems to have a virtual primer on washboard rhythms. I've pretty much given up on DHM.
That's about all my credit card can handle this summer, altho' I would be interested in 1 or 2 of those Jelly Roll Mortons Slack is talkin' 'bout.
Say I guess a list would be helpful, eh?
  • Ragtime Blues Guitar 1927-1935 (DOCD 5062)
  • Leadbelly vol. 1 1939-1940 (DOCD 5226)
  • Catfish Blues, Mississippi Blues vol. 3 1936-1942 (DOCD 5672)
  • Harps, Jug, Washboards & Kazoos 1926-1940 (JPCD-1505-2)
  • Leadbelly/King of the 12-String Guitar (CK46776) (Columbia)
Thanks John.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 07:55:20 AM »
I'd also add Peg Leg Howell to the list. There's 2 volumes on Document.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 11:05:15 AM »
Hi John C. and Andrew,
I'm sorry but I took off for P.T. before I could get your recent CD requests.  I passed along the ones I had to Quimper (Steve was out) and they were extremely happy to get the requests, particularly with the catalogue numbers of the CDs, since it makes ordering so much easier.  You guys (or any others of you who have CD requests but didn't get them in in time) might try emailing your requests directly to Quimper.  I don't have an email address for them, but you might be able to find it with a search or by calling them.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 05:09:44 AM »
John, thanks so much for your work on this - I just sent the whole coversation to Steve, but if anyone wants to communicate with him -

Steve Wilmart
E-mail Address(es):
  steve@quimpersound.com

Best, Peter

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal