collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's cool to change chords and all, but you really don't have to. - Corey Harris, teaching a workshop at PT 2009

Linked Events

• Weenie Campbell 2004 Pre-Soak: July 30, 2004
  • Weenie Campbell 2004 Pre-Soak: July 31, 2004
  • Weenie Campbell 2004 Pre-Soak: August 01, 2004

Author Topic: 2004 Pre-Soak- Year of the Unknown  (Read 11449 times)

Offline jed

2004 Pre-Soak- Year of the Unknown
« on: September 07, 2003, 09:35:15 PM »
With luck (and probably some last-minute flurries of calls and email), Pre-Soak will again begin on Friday, with associated space on the Row.  Otherwise, we'll get space elsewhere!

=================

POSTED HERE FOR CONVENIENCE:

Does anyone need driving directions to the Fort?  Centrum has them posted on their site:

http://www.centrum.org/about/directions.html

Cheers,
                 Jed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 09:44:29 PM by jed »
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
Re:2004 Pre-Soak- Year of the Unknown
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 02:28:42 PM »
Jed,
Count me in for pre-soak.  Will once again see if I can hook up with FP and get down there Friday night (presuming there's enough time between now and then for FP lto earn how to follow directions ;)
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline jed

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 10:30:23 PM »
Sudbury,

Great!  It will likely be many months before I can confirm Friday space - if at all this time - but things have worked out in the past, so there's every reason to Go With Weenie in the Year of the Unknown...

Cheers,
Jed

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 08:17:58 AM »
Jed:
You know I'll be there, regardless where we end up. I need that weekend to wind down and get into the PT 'space'. And yes Mr. Sudbury, we'll do the planes-autos-boats thing again.
FrontPage
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 09:37:52 AM »
OK ;D - I'm going to go ahead and see if I can book the one seat they seem to reserve for points travel from TO to Vanc.  How's that for planning my life way ahead?  (hmmmm, sounds like hubris - think I'd better go placate the gods by sprinkling some tequila around my guitar.  Then again, maybe I'll sprinkle some tequila around me)
Sudbury.
Sudbury

Offline swampman

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Re: 2004 Pre-Soak- Year of the Unknown
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 09:49:38 AM »
With luck (and probably some last-minute flurries of calls and email), Pre-Soak will again begin on Friday, with associated space on the Row.  Otherwise, we'll get space elsewhere!

Jed,

Have you included me for Weener Hausen.  I plan to arrive on Monday and leave on Sunday with the rest of the gang

Swampman

Offline jed

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 09:03:40 PM »
Swamp,

Yep.  Details should be finalized in the next week; will let you know.

Chrs,
Jed

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 10:24:49 AM »
Jed,
Not sure I ever confirmed my pre-soak status ???  Just in case: will arrive with FrontPage (if he can find the way) late on Friday July 30, departing sometime Sunday Aug.8, once all the Hornitos is dealt with. :P
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline jed

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 10:50:56 AM »
Sud,

I did get your message awhile back.  Do you plan to get to PT Friday night?  If so, I'll keep the space - and we'll have some corn-based potables for your arrival.

Chrs,
Jed

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 11:06:55 AM »
Jed,
Yep - Friday night it is!
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 05:57:33 PM »
Anyone driving up from SeaTac on Fri, on Sat, on Sun ?  I would like to fly up to SeaTac, and attend some of pre-soak. Could possibly stay one nite, like Fri or so, with friends on Bainbridge Island, drive up the next morning. Cost way too much for my own rental car for the week last year. I could split a car with one or more, but not at last year's exorbitant rates. Could pass on the friends overnite, and drive from SeaTac with 1 or more Weenies. Slack? , Jed? what are you guys doing? Jed , will you drive up? Want to pass through Berserkeley? Let's hear some chatter out there... :P
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 07:09:39 PM »
Hey Miller,

I'm hitching a ride in with Deacon (which I did last year too).  I'm either flying in to Portland on Friday evening (a gracious invitation), spending the night and then leaving for PT with the Deacon Saturday morning or flying into SeaTac Saturday (earliest arrival, 1pm).  I'm leaning toward Portland, mainly to check out the supply of pickled beets and other un-etable Norwegian food stocks.  :P

I'm with you on the car rentals out of SeaTac - chipping in for the 'rent-a-wreck' cured me, I try to avoid them completely by hitching a ride in and taking the blues bus out.

cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 07:15:09 PM »
Miller,

Jed and I are driving from SeaTac on Friday. Best to email Jed or myself.

uncle bud

Offline jed

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 09:17:27 PM »
...Island, drive up the next morning. Cost way too much for my own rental car for the week last year. I could split a car with one or more, but not at last year's exorbitant rates. Could pass on
I have a vague but positive recollection of my rent-a-wreck thing last year - except for Sunday, when I was waiting outside their closed office and the cab to airport was very late.  Perhaps because it's already fuzzy, I'd do it again.  Unless...

guys doing? Jed , will you drive up? Want to pass through Berserkeley? Let's hear some chatter out there... :P

Now That You Mention It Department: my current plans are to drive from SeaTac, but you just reminded me that they may change.  I just might have the time (and the vertebrae) to drive up by the time PTCBW rolls around.  May not know for another month or so.

But as things stand today:  if you fly up Friday, Andrew and I could certainly shuttle you in.  We'll see what's up as it gets closer.

Cheers,
Jed

Miblues

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 08:57:18 PM »
Hey all

I'll be arriving in Seattle on Saturday.  If anyone has space, I'd appreciate a ride up to PT.  Happy to chip in for fuel, pretzels, poke rinds or whatever.

Alternatively, would consider sharing the cost of a rental although that's not my preferred option as it seems like a waste of good moola.

Thanks
Michael from Middle Earth

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 11:57:21 AM »
Hi All:

I'll be dropping someone off at SeaTac on the pre-soak Friday and could arrange to pick up one person there and drive them to PT (only one person, small car). If you would like to avail yourself of this service, let me know.

HBTF (How 'bout them Flames),
Alex

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 08:02:39 AM »
Howdy:

My plans have changed slightly. I'll be dropping someone off at the Vancouver International Airport at about 10 AM on Friday, July 30. If anyone needs a ride from there to Pt. Townsend anywhere around that time let me know.

All for now,
Alex

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 05:34:25 PM »
Hi Alex,
Don't know if this is useful, but I'm coming in to Vancouver airport at 4:00pm on July 30, then planning to drive down with FrontPage to PT. Will have space available.
Chimo,
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 10:44:44 PM »
Hey Nickel:

I'll be in Van. with my car. So thanks. Pre-presoak Canadian beers?

Alex

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 05:30:11 AM »
Hey Pyrochlore,
If you're there at 10:00 am, by the time I arrive at 4:00 pm your pre-pre-soak would have extinguished your flame entirely!  Think I'll save my myself for the juice of the blue agave, sipped in more southern climes ('course, almost anywhere is a southern clime to me).
See you in PT.
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2004, 12:58:42 PM »
Jed and Andrew:
Thanks for the info. You guys may be my ticket to PT!
I will try to complete plans for trip there, but is complicated: whether to stay on Bainbridge Island with friends one nite--you could go N from Sea Tac to catch ferry downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island, swing by and pick me up, then a straight shot 1-1/2 hrs up the road to PT. Then, when will you guys drive back (Sun?), and could you drive me to Bainbridge or to Sea tac?

Alternative 2 is fly on Fri to Sea Tac and catch you there. Then drop me off on the return to Bainbridge for a little overnite R and R with my buds on the tail end of the trip.

If you drove up LA to Berserkeley, Jed, wouldn't that take you 2 extra days on both ends for the drive? Ain't that too much time and back-ache for you? Or shall we give it more thought?

'I Ain't Gonna Cry No More,
Miller :P
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2004, 07:49:51 PM »

If you drove up LA to Berserkeley, Jed, wouldn't that take you 2 extra days on both ends for the drive? Ain't that too much time and back-ache for you? Or shall we give it more thought?

Miller - I'm counting on Jed's back to tell to him, "No! Fool!", otherwise I need to find a different ride.  :P  Otherwise I'm pretty easy...

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »
If anyone ends up needing a ride, on any day, contact me.

Peter

Offline swampman

Weener Hausen
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2004, 05:40:08 AM »
Yo Weenies,

Has anyone heard from Jed about Weener Hausen?  I am coming up for PT and I have requested Weener Hausen.  So far he hasn't answered any direct e-mails.  The anal rententive in me is concerned. Do I have a place to stay, or should I bring a tent

Swampman

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2004, 08:45:40 AM »
Gene, no one has heard from Jed, but nothing to worry about - Jed operates best when deadlines loom.

cheers,

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2004, 11:07:30 PM »
Geeno:

If you decide bring a tent, be sure to reserve a spot in the campground! Don't worry - you'll hear from Jed when he needs some money.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline jed

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 04:55:03 AM »
Yo Weenies,
Has anyone heard from Jed about Weener Hausen?  I am coming up for PT and I have requested Weener Hausen.  So far he hasn't answered any direct e-mails.  The anal rententive in me is concerned. Do I have a place to stay, or should I bring a tent
Swampman

Gene, forgive me for missing your phone call day before yesterday.  I've received no emails from you (for, like, the last year).  Make sure you have my address as jed@jed.net - not jed@jed.COM (I know this guy, though - he picked up his domain a month before I looked it up.  Nice guy - played Kennedy in Forrest Gump).

Re: your psychic needs:  let me reprise my assurance from our last conversation that you have a spot in Weenerhausen.  Refer to my letter (finally dispatched) for details.  You won't need a tent, but what the heck - it couldn't hurt!

Cheers,
Jed

Offline jed

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 05:04:48 AM »
Miller - I'm counting on Jed's back to tell to him, "No! Fool!", otherwise I need to find a different ride.  :P  Otherwise I'm pretty easy...

Andrew, it looks like you'll get your wish - last week saw the results of a sudden oxygen depletion in my trapezoid muscles, which could threaten to curtail an otherwise enjoyable northerly drive to PT next month (the disc is much improved, but I was well overdue for an episode).  Besides, my schedule is going to suck at the end of July.  So, sorry, CyoteG, we'll have to meet you at SeaTac.

Whining Boy Jed

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2004, 09:04:44 AM »
Jed, sorry to hear your back/body is at it again. So are my hands. We can complain together on the drive into Fort Worden.

Offline jed

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 03:03:35 PM »
Nah, the truth is that this one is almost over already.  A minor - but impressive-sounding - and informative hurdle on the eternal road back to as healthy as can be - which is about halfway as healthy as back when.  Things I Used To Do...

My corporal being is slowly convincing me to return to T'ai Chi (which might help your hands) and maybe yoga again.  Not a bad thing, but I've got a get a clock with more hours on it.

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2004, 10:05:58 AM »
Thanks for the update , Jed. Glad the trapezoid is improviing. Tried acupuncture?  Bladder and gallbladder meridians run up paraspinal areas both sides, over to the area of the traps and back to the posterior neck, over the top of head to forehead and all over the teomples too. A good pulse diagnostician can improve your Ch'i with some needling.

Let me needle you about the planned meeting at Sea Tac: what day do you plan to arrive, and what time? What day do you plan to depart PT, and what time? I must make reservations, and coordinate  overnites (or not) with friends. I gotta hear from you ASAP to get on this. This is my best shot at getting to/from PT and I may just pass on stopping on Bainbridge--I see them in September anyway!

Slack, how are you getting to PT again? When?

Peter, if all else fails, I may want to take you up on a ride, like from Bainbridge Island or Sea Tac. I'll get the beer... :P

Andrew: working on Depot Blues some. I just really dig Son House--such power and intensity in the playing and singing, yet technique is simple. I would have loved to have sat at his knee and gotten into his head and style... would also like to have hung out with Hubert Sumlin and his crowd...Great job, Uncle Bud,  putting it on the mpeg for me. Sorry the hands are acting up...makes me appreciate the time you took to do that recording even more. Thanks again... BTW, have you tried acupuncture? Stretching the fingers and wrists?

Love the site, Slack, and Claudia digs the new dude playing the the guitar with the notes flying off at the header! Coool!
Miller
PS: How can I put a picture of my favorite hero by my byline? Even if it's a similar one to anyone else's, he's still my hero!

Buzz

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2004, 10:19:57 AM »
Miller -

Jed and I are meeting at SeaTac on Friday sometime around lunch probably. We can meet you too as far as I know, then all head to PT. We'd head back on Sunday, anytime is fine with me (though not the crack of dawn if possible). Remember for booking your return it takes a bit longer to get out of the Fort on the Sunday because Jed and I usually do the last rounds of the houses, return all the keys to Centrum, return the rental car, say bye to Peter and Joan etc etc. So don't book an early flight.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 10:27:25 AM by uncle bud »

Offline jed

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
Doc Cyote,

Din't mean to keep you in the dark re: travel plans.? The strain confirmed them, though.

Yeah, I got los needles.? Breakdown and repair history: Friday noon- traps choked.? Stretched.? 5:30pm: medicinal elixirs neat.? 6:30pm: massage-Swedish with some acupressure (best I could get on short notice).? 7:30-10pm: more medicine, topped with Patrone.? Sunday: light swim.? Monday:? acupuncture (the fat needles) + a shiatsu beating. Pain begot gain.? Swim light Wednesday + best massage in a year (this guy has healing hands and elbows) put my left brain on vacation for about a day.? Thursday: Swim light.? Friday: acupuncture (back to thin needles) + shiatsu? - the therapist started working on my feet and recounted my various organic weaknesses - who knew?? I'm drinking more water.

Gee, all this geezer talk - I'd upload some pix of my old knee surgery, but the scars are gone...

On your online image, you should be able to choose it from a list in your profile.? After logging in to the site, choose the "Profile" bottom on the top right, then "Forum Profile Settings" and go from there.

Dunno if we have to head straight for PT on Friday.? Any thought of a possible rendezvous?? Can we pick you up on an atoll or something?? What are the logistics?

Let's talk,
Jed

PS - On the Sunday return, I've been booking mid-afternoon flights (3:30-4:30) - the last year or two, SeaTac required a 90-minute lead time before departure.? Leaving PT at 11:30 gets us there around 2pm (just in time for a 3:30 flight), so keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:03:17 PM by waxwing »

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2004, 11:22:14 AM »
Andrew and Jed:
1. Shaping up plans. Thanks for the feedback. Will plan to arrive near noon on Fri, plan to depart Sea-Tac near 4 on next Sun. The same times I have usually flown, sounds fine to me. Will plan to meet you 2 at the airport, and stick together, will pass on staying with friends for a nite then trying to meet you  on Bainbridge Island--compressing too much, in too little time on both ends won't work--and get together with  you from the start: Then a bite of lunch, and we can drive to PT, and settle in.

2. Want Pho for lunch? We could go to Pho Bat near downtown Seattle, then wait in line for the Bainbridge ferry, and head to PT north on Bainbridge. Alternative route: South from Sea-Tac around to Tacoma, across Narrows bridge up Kitsap peninsula to PT. Have no idea where to lunch in that direction. Times to PT nearly same in either direction, though waiting for a ferry in Sea can take an extra hour--bring a book.

3.Renting a car from Sea-Tac? Do Andrew and I chip in $25 for each direction? Or do we split the fees 3 ways, or what?

4. What instruments are you taking? How many? Thinking of my wood acoustic--plays so smoothly--and Yellow Lady Mando. Gotta check out my MD recorder, see if I can work it correctly this time :P  so I actually get some classes on discs!

5. Jed: Enough Patron, acupuncture, and deep massage and the traps will certainly dissolve, my good fellow. Not to worry.  ;D

I am getting pumped...
Miller

Buzz

Offline jed

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2004, 11:53:54 AM »
So we'll leave SeaTac (either for the Rent-a-Wreck place, or with a car from a local vendor).

If we do the ferry, Pho sounds fine.  There are a few adequate troughs on the southern route, but I haven't done the boat trip, which might be fun - unless something requires my putative presence earlier at PT <-- this is unlikely, as we've got celphones plus plenty of time to coordinate arrivals.

As far as waiting goes, I'll have a guitar and maybe some other stuff with me - who's bringing the tip jar?

Cheers,
Jed

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2004, 04:51:28 PM »
Jed sez:

> I haven't done the boat trip, which might be fun

Sure you have - four years ago. It was a beautiful sunny day. You drove the Taurus, and I regaled you with stories en route (trying to keep you awake). We were both dog tired from a couple of back-to-back all-nighters, and were quite relieved to get to PT without incident. Surely you remember the clam chowder we had on the ferry?

I'll already be in PT, so bell me when you get to the Fort. You have my number.

Tip: Don't use a spitoon for your tip jar. Some people still chew tobacky.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline jed

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2004, 11:46:53 AM »
The all-nighters blend together in a gauzy haze...  You're joking about the chowder, yes?  Everyone knows I'm a strict carnivore!

Will you be needing any house access when you get to PT?  I can probably arrange a key for you.

Re: tip jars - that's why the Egyptians invented glass.

Cheers,
Jed

PS - Speaking of Ben Franklin, check out the armonica, which he kept in the blue(s) room:  http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blfranklin_inventions.htm

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2004, 09:50:46 PM »
Happy Independence Day to all you yankee doodle dandies!

Re: clam chowder - no joke. And it was delicious too - lots of onion and bacon. You must have really been zonked to let mollusk remains slip down your gullet without protest.

Re: house access - yes. I am planning to hang out at the Fort from Friday onward (as you will have probably figured out from the $$ that dropped into your PayPal account earlier today). My wife - with 90 year old Granny in tow - will be staying elsewhere in PT until Sunday AM, so as to better meet the special needs of her geriatric charge. I am planning to split my time between the full-time and Weenie 'families'.

Re: Ben Franklin - what was the connection? The key (without kite)? Thanks for the link - I did not know he played the 'arp. And duets with the 'arpsichord. There was no mention of pentatonic scales or diminished chords, although he was probably well versed in the symbology of the pentagram. I watched a two-part bio-epic that PBS ran on Ben's life a year or so ago. He had accomplished enough in the first ten minutes of the program to make me feel like an utter failure. And all of this without a laptop, Windoze ExPee, a PDA, or a cell phone.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline jed

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »
Obviously, you entered more data in your PDA than I - it is evidence of my midday fatigue that I could have failed to record the menu, as good chowder is an uncommon and welcome event.  I do have a hazy picture of the mess hall/concession area (or was that on the Catalina Express?).

We'll have to hook you up with keys as needed.  Should be pretty easy.

Ben not only played the 'arp, he invented it - his proudest creation (the entire colonial gummit notwithstanding- it is no exaggeration to claim that his word was held in highest esteem with more than just a huge percentage of colonial and continental females).  Credit (or blame) Google for the connection - something about glass and spitoons - and maybe music.  As far as celphones go - Ben would certainly have been the first Gangsta d'amour!

Cheers,
Jed

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2004, 08:58:29 PM »
  To those arriving Saturday at Sea-Tac. I will drive up there and pick up the earliest arrival (not before 10am)
and drive that person to Port Townsend. If that person wants to kick in 5 or 10 bucks for gas, that's cool. I can only take 1 person though. E-mail me at lwoodblues@wamail.net. Earliest arrival after 10am wins!
  Steve

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2004, 10:12:35 AM »
Hey there Frontpage + other Canuck Weenies,
FP: Do I gather from your postings that you're driving down 'en famille' with wife, granny, and don't need ride?  Let me know.
Other Weeniecanucks: I'll be coming in to Vanc. airport 4:00pm pre-soak Friday, will rent car and drive down.  Anybody needing ride, speak up!
Jed: Any guidance on which bed for Friday night?
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline swampman

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2004, 01:39:43 PM »
Yo Weenies,

Is anyone driving to PT on Mondayl.  I am arriving in Seattle at 12:30pm and need a ride up to PT

Swampman

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2004, 04:04:03 PM »
Yo Swampy,

If you cannot find a ride, you might want to check the on the Blues Bus - if I recall correctly, I believe it leaves SeaTac at 1pm... but call Centrum to make sure.

slack 

Offline jed

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2004, 05:18:10 PM »
Sud

Friday is the Bricks.  More info to come in a big email...

Cheers,
Jed

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal