collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't killed nobody, my picture ain't in the post office - John Jackson, in a workshop with Orville and John Cephas, 1998

Author Topic: Stuff that Dreams are Made of CD Yazoo  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Stuff that Dreams are Made of CD Yazoo
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 04:45:39 PM »
Hi Eric,
Thanks very much for the information.  I really appreciate it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 09:57:50 AM »
John, FWIW, here's what Tony Russell said about the Jack Gowdlock coupling when he included it on the compilation East Coast Blues (Blues Collection BLUCD 84, 1996). [The compilation contents can be viewed at Stefan's Luke Jordan page].

"Gowdlock was a blues-singer and guitarist from the small town of Cross Keys, South Carolina, between Union and Laurens. He played with the blind gospel singer Gussie Nesbitt, bom in 1910, and was probably of a similar age. The two men were scouted by a local store-owner for a Victor session in Charlotte, North Carolina, on 29 May 1931 and recorded four numbers - two sacred duets which were never issued and two solo blues by Gowdlock which were - but the record sold so poorly that 65 years later not even the most assiduous collectors had ever seen or heard it. Fortunately a copy has survived and Gowdlock's blues can be heard at last.

'Poor Jane Blues' is a version of the hugely widespread eight-bar blues usually known as 'Crow Jane', sometimes as 'Red River Blues', in other regions as 'Sliding Delta'. Gowdlock alludes to the first two titles in his opening and closing verses. Julius Daniels recorded a version of the theme in 1927 and the Virginia singer Carl Martin did it in 1935. More recently it has been recorded by Skip James and Mississippi John Hurt."

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 05:33:19 PM »
Thanks very much, Bunker Hill, for the additional information on Jack Gowdlock.  It's interesting for a number of reasons.  Based purely on the guitar approach on "Rollin' Dough Blues", I don't think I would have pegged Gowdlock as a player from the Carolinas.  His right hand approach and sound have more in common with such Texas players as Willie Reed and Otis Harris than with people like Rev. Davis, Josh White and Pink Anderson.  Also interesting that Gussie, the given name of his playing partner, is most often a woman's name.  I imagine it is very doubtful that more information on Gowdlock will be unearthed at this point, but I guess you never know.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 06:16:27 PM »
Finally picked up this little gem. Actually it was a Valentine's Day prezzy from Cheryl, what a gal, buys me guitars on our anniversary and scratchy old CDs on valentine's.

The liner notes were completely offbeat and unexpected. I've probably got enough studiously-written material on all of these tracks (except for the obvious two) to choke a horse. So I was able to just enjoy the program and laugh insanely at, for example, the account of the two brothers who collected everything that wasn't tied down and stashed it in their house. Having recently moved house, during which I had to hire a truck and run 1.2 metric tons of semi-useful stuff to the landfill, it struck a chord.

I like the running order and selections very much, very entertaining. Sound quality is great. Anything with a Crumb masterpiece on the cover and Nevins at the wheel gets my vote. Excellent release IMHO.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal