collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When you get up into heaven, when you get up into heaven, you'll find a big stream of molasses and a big lot of flapjacks sitting on each side. And it's a lot of butter on each side and a big knife to cut the butter with. When you get down to the stream of molasses you're going to cut the butter with your knife, you're going to drag the butter through the flapjacks, you're going to drag the flapjacks through the big stream of molasses, you're going to drag them across your mouth and say, "A bow bow bow bow bow..." - Lead Belly, Sermon on Pancakes, 1941

Author Topic: Down Home Music - The Stories and Photographs of Chris Strachwitz Book  (Read 453 times)

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
All,
This weekend I stumbled on the news that Arhoolie Records, via Chronicle Books, is publishing a book of stories and photos from the late Chris Strachwitz.

Chronicle Books describes it as: "A visual storytelling celebration of American roots music in its rich variety through unseen and newly scanned photographs by the founder of the legendary Arhoolie Records."

There is a preorder link and more info here:
https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/arhoolie-records-down-home-music

Offline Hamhound

Re: Down Home Music - The Stories and Photographs of Chris Strachwitz Book
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 07:41:34 PM »
I for one am interested in that book, and didn't know of it's scheduled release - so thankyou TenBrook.
The Aint No Mouse Music film about Strachwitz is worth seeing, and I'm sure discussed, on this forum

Offline txbluesproject

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 01:46:55 PM »
The book is now available via Amazon.

Offline jostber

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 04:03:53 PM »
I have ordered this one. A great interview with the Author Joel Selvin:

https://americanahighways.org/2023/11/16/interview-down-home-music-the-stories-and-photographs-of-chris-strachwitz/

How fascinating about the *complete* unedited photo of the often-used Sonny Boy/Rice King Biscuit Time image !

It really is a good interview worth reading, and not just a promote-my-book puff piece.

I've ordered the book and now waiting for it to make its way to my far-off country..

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 01:38:22 PM »
Just received this today. Agree, a great interview and lots of wonderful photos. Highly recommend.
All the Best,
Ned

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal